01 Expedition - Short in cruise control circuit and it isn't the pressure switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As soon as the pressure switch on the master cylinder is connected it blows the 5 amp fuse associated with the windows/ interior lights/ and gear shifter interlock. The pressure switch is new and I can unplug the switch and put a wire in the harness that clips to the pressure switch and the fuse blows instantly exactly the same as when I connect it to the switch. Does anyone know of common places for a short on this circuit or have the associated wiring diagram? I drive a lot for work and really want that cruise control operational.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you connect the switch back you are providing a path to ground for the electrical current. If the wire you add isn't going to ground then the problem is elsewhere.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time for wire tracing. Start from the actuator all the way to the fusebox and look for damaged insulation.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What 5 amp fuse is blowing?

Could you give the location and fuse # of that fuse Post a picture if possible You can alo check your owners manual

OP
OP
Dudeth

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's fuse #15. I've read in some other places that this particular fuse isn't associated with the cruise/windows/interior lights/ shift interlock, but it most definitely is on my XLT. I'll do some tracing today if I have time. Does anyone have a circuit diagram?

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse #15 5Amp is the power feed for the Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Brake Pedal Position (BPP) Switch

I would like for you to disconnect the connector that goes to the Brake Pedal Position Switch

Then install a new 5 amp fuse and see if it blows

OP
OP
Dudeth

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. The fuse only blows when I connect the master cylinder pressure switch or put a wire across the harness clip for the pressure switch. Everything works fine all the time otherwise and never blows a fuse. A circuit diagram for that 5 amp circuit might be helpful. So normally all of my windows, lights, shift interlock and everything is fine until I try to get my cruise control working and plug in the master cylinder pressure switch. So you're saying disconnect the brake pedal position switch and then connect the pressure switch and see if the fuse blow?