'03 EB Front Blower Motor High Speed Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stilbo

Reaction score
I've repaired a few Explorers and F150s with a "high speed only" blower motor problem. It's always been the resistor pack. But on manual control HVAC systems.
I just bought an '03 Expedition EB with auto climate control and the front HVAC fan will only run at maximum speed. I've checked Advance Auto and O'Reilly's and they offer a resistor pack with a big honkin heat sink and transistor pack as the resistor replacement all for $96.00.
If I were replacing a $23.00 resistor I'd just roll the dice and buy, install and hope for the best but at nearly $100.00 I'd like to be a bit more certain about my diagnosis.
So....
My problem is the resistor pack with big heat sink on the front fan housing, right?
Thanks,
Ron S

OP
OP
S

stilbo

Reaction score
Update... Found the "controller" aka resistor for $57 on Amazon. Still want to be sure before I pop the cash.

rock3ralex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can find the actual resistor value or you can the parts on an electronics site and replace it for no more than a few bucks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ohillny

Reaction score
Having the same problem

I have a 2000 xlt 5.4 that will only blow air on the highest setting. COuld this also be the resistor or do I have a dying blower?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Until the defective part has been found, it could be any of them. Invest is a DVM if you don't have one and we will tell you how to check the parts.

Last edited:

ohillny

Reaction score
Yeah what is "dvm"? and if it is a resistor pack are these under the dash and is it a single unit that can be replace?

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) uses a Blower Control Module (BCM) to control the fan speed as opposed to the resistor coils used on the manual systems. This provides the many fan speeds controlled by the thumbwheel on the control panel as opposed to the four speeds provided by the rotary switch on the manual versions. The module is mounted in the hvac box, in the airstream, with a large heatsink and circuit board inside, and the electrical connectors on the outside. These modules have been troublesome on the "panther" cars (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis), causing intermittent blower operation. The cause is incomplete solder connections on the circuit board. Tapping on the module with the butt-end of a screwdriver will sometimes temporarily restore operation. Replacement "new" modules wil be affected the same way as it is a manufacturing defect. The permanent fix is to resolder the wire connection points on the circuit board. You will have to find where the module is located on the HVAC box in the Expedition. On the panther cars, it is on the A/C plenum under the hood on the firewall. The photo of the circuit board shows the burned solder joint on one of the large pins. When these are acting up and arcing, you will actually get a burning electrical smell from the vents inside the vehicle.

Attachments

• 100_4643.jpg
    100_4643.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN5649a.jpg
    DSCN5649a.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members