03 Expedition Solid Axle Swap

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by scoot0073, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Russell Lewis

Russell Lewis Full Access Members

Most of the 37 from the military are timed out due to age not wear. Here’s how to check

For tires manufactured in the year 2000 – present
    The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003. Pretty simple, right? However…if your tires were made before 2000, it gets a bit more complicated.

For tires manufactured before the year 2000
    The date of manufacture is the last three digits of the code. The first two digits refer to the week within that year. For example, if the last 3 digits are 022, it means that the tire was manufactured in the second week of the year, and the year is the second year of the decade. This is where it gets confusing -- there's no universal identifier that signifies which decade, so in this example the tire could have been manufactured in 1982 or 1992. Some tires do have a small triangle following the DOT code to indicate the 1990s.

scoot0073 likes this.
  2. USMCBuckWild

USMCBuckWild Full Access Members

Government Liquidation sites have wheels tires that are less than 7 years old at very good prices. I have bought and sold several sets without issue. The oxymoronic thing about the military is the high waste of money. If a unit orders 20 rim/tires but are only authorized to maintain an on-hand quantity of 10, the other 10 (already bought and paid for) have to be removed from on-hand and sent to DRMO. If another unit does not pick them up, they are auctioned off. So, it is possible to purchase a brand new set of tires and rims that are less than a year old and have ZERO miles for pennies on the dollar (think less than $80 for a set of 4).

The one recommendation I DO have is removing the run-flat insert and balancing them. The run-flat adds 12 or 18lbs to each rin/tire.

scoot0073 likes this.
  3. USMCBuckWild

4. scoot0073

scoot0073 Full Access Members

Thanks for the find.
    Man that thing is a Tru Beast.
    Granted I'm not going that extreme as I want to have my to be a daily driver but
    I see by going to the leaf springs front and back will be cheaper on me to do the SAS but I wouldn't get the articulation but I would get the 8" lift..
    Which the 3 and 4 link I could always do at a later time .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. USMCBuckWild

9129F3D3-338D-4C5D-967B-0DB210E0A9D7.jpeg 5F5F4C97-7844-4558-9CE2-5E3DFF41CCD8.jpeg
    You can change out in the future to a 3l/4l later on if you please as the ground work had been done.

You will be surprised at the amount of flex you can get from properly set-up leaf springs. Most people have 5-6 leaf spring packs forheight which makesthem VERY stiff. By using proper springs, you get lift and articulation.

I did an 87 Toyota with a reverse mount rear leaf set-up. Leaf springs were designed to be used like a U. But, if you mount it upside down with a single rigid mount on the frame, the spring lies along the frame and curves down to a single rigid eyelet mount on the axle tube. This with a good 3 point location mount made for ridiculous articulation. Was definately NOT awesome for driving on the road.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. USMCBuckWild

066F6E22-78B8-48BF-9F45-3BC84E91BF3B.jpeg

D71E0D4A-33BC-428C-B228-35B0618BC11F.jpeg

scoot0073 likes this.
  7. scoot0073

scoot0073 Full Access Members

Found this today for a good price I haven't called him yet but it's 4x4 and should have the axles that I need and probably use the leaf springs and probably other stuff.
    What u think??[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. USMCBuckWild

Negative, Ghost Rider.

In 1978 all F150 were coil spring front end. Unless you want to do a coil spring front suspension; this will be a Dana 44 (3.54 gearing) wedge front with a (most likely) Ford 9” rear. The 9“ is an awesome rear, no doubt, and most likely 3.50 gears. Should be the tapered bearing rear end with 31 spline axles, very stout.

Not ‘bomb proof’ but will work.

9. USMCBuckWild

You should really hitup “Sherry Bigmeat” and find out if she is a size queen.......

10. SnuffThePunkz

SnuffThePunkz Full Access Members

That is an awesome plan, I dig it. I was about to start a SAS build, but a 4" f150 lift fell into my lap for $200. My wife and wallet are relieved. I will have to live vicariously through you.

So... get to it!