07 with electrical issue, any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Red lead to positive post and black lead to positive battery cable terminal after removing from battery? Meter is connected in series.
Meter leads plugged in to the meter correctly - Red to amp port and black to common?
Meter set to amps?

If connected as above you need to test the meter. Turn on one circuit that draws less than 10 amps. No reading means internal meter fuse is blown.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Not all meters can read amperage through the leads. What make and model do you have? I'm assuming it has a clamp? Maybe thats the only way it will read amperage

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Go back and see if you ran the test like the "car guy" linked video. Disconnect the Negative terminal and commedt the ammeter (set the meter to amps makes it an ammeter) in series between the Negative battery pole and the BLACK cable you removed from that terminal. Any amperage draw will instantly show on the meter.

If you didn't do it that way do it again. :)

-- Chuck

OP
OP
M

Mept99

Reaction score
Still does not register a draw.
I'm using a Bosch 7677
I also retested my alternator and it's working.
My battery is good per meter and charger.
I watched video and did exactly as it says.
I also did exactly as the manual.
I did find that the meter blew at one time or another both fuses. I replaced and tested that they lacked continuity then repeated tests on vehicle.
One thing I noticed which I never noticed before was that when I reattached positive cable to battery the head light blinked on and off. Light switch was in off position. Any ideas from here? Is there any way a working vehicle would not show any draw at all literally 0.00?

OP
OP
M

Mept99

Reaction score
Also since I don't have any more fuses on me, if meter has internal fuse blown immediately, which I can't test at moment by retesting replaced fuses, what might that indicate is happening and could it relate to my vehicle not holding a charge?
Thanks again for all the help

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The headlights flashing indicates a draw on the system. Seeing your meter doesn't show a draw then the internal meter fuse(s) or the meter itself is bad.

There is a constant draw for the keep alive memory in the various modules and radio. This is usually in the low mili amp range.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You did move you meter leads over to the amp plug right? Black lead to com and red over to the 10 a fused socket on the left or even the 200ma depending on how big the draw is

Screenshot_2017-11-12-18-59-42.png