08 Expedition EL shocks and struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panama

Reaction score
08 Expy EL. replaced shocks and struts with OE using the original springs for the rear shocks. Now rides with a very stiff feel unlike ride I enjoyed before I replaced the parts. No height difference just running very stiff. Is there anything I needed to do besides replacing the parts with OE and suggested after markets parts. No pulling to the left/right or nothing crazy, just stiff as heck.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's because you're all sharks were probably worn out so is giving you a soft spongy ride. Now that you have new shocks on there should have a stiffer ride which will calm down a bit there should also give you better handling when driving

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated your worn suspension parts could have been the reason for your plush ride.

The other thing that makes a huge difference when it comes to ride quality is tires. Old worn tire will ride harsher than new tires, light truck or A/T tires like my Falken AT3 will ride harsher than say a good all season or highway tire.

I went from a mostly worn highway tire to set of new set Falken AT3s and they ride quality drastically decreased. I don't really care that much because they are significantly more durable than any highway tire and we live far from town that's often trashed during monsoon season.

The other thing is set your tire pressure based on tire wear, the door sticker will get you close, but its not always perfect.

Michael DePola

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the Expy forum. Recently purchased a 2008 EB EL and am looking to replace the shock/strut assembly. When searching online I find a lot of parts that say they aren't for the EL or Max models. I'm wondering if you can help me with a part # for front and rear shock/strut assemblies?

TheFordFortress

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's because you're all sharks were probably worn out so is giving you a soft spongy ride. Now that you have new shocks on there should have a stiffer ride which will calm down a bit there should also give you better handling when driving

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Did this include Grandma and Grandpa “Sharks”? Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mbed

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the Expy forum. Recently purchased a 2008 EB EL and am looking to replace the shock/strut assembly. When searching online I find a lot of parts that say they aren't for the EL or Max models. I'm wondering if you can help me with a part # for front and rear shock/strut assemblies?
Go with beilsteins. Have limited el from 08. Almost got sucked into a r&r of rear shocks using the preloaded Monroe’s or Gabriels until I found they weren’t rated for extra weight. Finally went to install them at nearby shop and once old ones were out, I had two boxes labeled with rear shock part numbers but containing one rear shock and one front shock!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go with beilsteins. Have limited el from 08. Almost got sucked into a r&r of rear shocks using the preloaded Monroe’s or Gabriels until I found they weren’t rated for extra weight. Finally went to install them at nearby shop and once old ones were out, I had two boxes labeled with rear shock part numbers but containing one rear shock and one front shock!

I like my Bilstein 4600s, but some people are shooting for that buoyant Chevy ride and will find them too stiff. Honestly, I find the truck so much more enjoyable to drive now since I went with the Bilsteins. It's not a massive difference from stock, but it's enough that I notice.