09 channels in roof cracking paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks what material did you use to bedline the rear tailgate?
Durabak 18 white smooth. The color doesn't quite match the Oxford White on my 2010 but it still looks way better than the peeling and bubbling paint.

The only issue on my particular application was that I held onto the can for too long before having time to do the job and ended up using expired product. Some of it partially dried in the can so it's a semi-textured finish right now. When I do the roof I'm going to sand down the rough spots on the liftgate and apply another coat to smooth it out.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 16 is flaking in the roof channels. Once weather warms a bit I’ll sand and respray it.

JKH13

Reaction score
Joe M. My 09 Lmtd El white has those same cracks in the paint by the sun roof. This happened when an incompetent trans shop employe bent the roof on their lift with a cross bar at the top. The safety mechanism to prevent this was not functioning and they lifted it up into the bar. The only good news is it did not break the glass.
My point is that these cracks in the paint are from the rack being over loaded to bend the roof in some or some other force to do this. I have been is the auto body repair business for 50 plus years and see these stress cracks all the time. Scrape all the lose and bubbled paint off. Scrape a larger area till it stops popping off with ease. Clean the rust with a wire brush etc. as bast as u can.For a novice I would recommend a product such as rust-oleum OIL base primer and top it with gloss oil base paint. For these small areas on a roof so high that normal people can't see I would brush it on. Note: Oil base ONLY.

I had an 03 Eddy and now the 09 and love em. Enjoy

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Joe M. My 09 Lmtd El white has those same cracks in the paint by the sun roof. This happened when an incompetent trans shop employe bent the roof on their lift with a cross bar at the top. The safety mechanism to prevent this was not functioning and they lifted it up into the bar. The only good news is it did not break the glass.
My point is that these cracks in the paint are from the rack being over loaded to bend the roof in some or some other force to do this. I have been is the auto body repair business for 50 plus years and see these stress cracks all the time. Scrape all the lose and bubbled paint off. Scrape a larger area till it stops popping off with ease. Clean the rust with a wire brush etc. as bast as u can.For a novice I would recommend a product such as rust-oleum OIL base primer and top it with gloss oil base paint. For these small areas on a roof so high that normal people can't see I would brush it on. Note: Oil base ONLY.

I had an 03 Eddy and now the 09 and love em. Enjoy
Good advice, I just got most of the rust out and painted mine with some old house paint the same +- color and a brush, nobody is going to see it.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good advice, I just got most of the rust out and painted mine with some old house paint the same +- color and a brush, nobody is going to see it.
You painted your truck with house paint and a paint brush? You’ve got to be joking