10 speed missed shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a brand new 2019 with 1900 miles on it. Twice in the short time I’ve owned it, when the truck is cold, I get a delayed/missed shift. I don’t know what gears are affected, but it has to be second third fourth gear type situation. The whole situation last maybe a half second but the shift is not crisp it’s definitely got a lag before it catches

Each time it’s been only one, and once it warms up it goes away.

Thoughts? Certainly would be a difficult thing to re-create if I were to go into the shop, so I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donn Brink

Reaction score
Are you "On" the accelerator when this happens...This 10 speed, under load accelerating, or also when breaking aggressively, the "smart" 10 speed will shift, skipping a gear or possibly even two gears at a time. Is this what's possibly happening ?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing as the post above. Mine regularly (always?) skips gears on the way up; it's typically 1-3-5-7-8-10. The only time I ever see 2 or 4 is if I'm in Sport mode. And the shift from 3-5 is always a little rough. But I'm a leadfoot (14.5mpg lifetime FTW!!) so the heavy shift is likely a result of the trans learning and adjusting to my habits.

OP
OP
Dakota4ce

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noted. I wouldn’t call it a skipped gear, but a long shift. Like the “clutched “portion is a little bit too long. Now I realize it’s not a clutch but I think you might know what I mean.

I also wouldn’t say I’m under heavy acceleration but I am under acceleration. Going up in the gears. I drive a little bit like a grandpa.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has it been parked on an incline for a while? I had a ram truck that would do the same thing. It was draining the fluid out being parked on a incline. When cold it would take longer to get the entire trans full of fluid.

OP
OP
Dakota4ce

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has it been parked on an incline for a while? I had a ram truck that would do the same thing. It was draining the fluid out being parked on a incline. When cold it would take longer to get the entire trans full of fluid.

Level parking lot this evening. I will keep vigilant! One happened today.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happens to me just about everyday. I haven’t taken it in for it. I live in Florida, so there are no inclines. Happens whether it is 60° or 80°F. I also drive like a grandpa. It is always with a “cold” engine. I leave my work parking lot which is only 200ft. During my immediate acceleration to 45 mph it occurs. I think mine is shifting from 4 to 6th. I would call mine a hesitation. It’s like it wants to shift from 4th to 6th but then decides it wants 5th. During this time it seems like it is reducing engine power because it is “shifting”. During this time, it is decelerating. I think there may be another thread that mentions this. They talk about removing the battery cable for a few minutes so the transmission can be retrained.

If I take the path out of my parking lot that is more like 600 ft, it does not occur. I’ll try to take video over the next couple of days.

OP
OP
Dakota4ce

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happens to me just about everyday. I haven’t taken it in for it. I live in Florida, so there are no inclines. Happens whether it is 60° or 80°F. I also drive like a grandpa. It is always with a “cold” engine. I leave my work parking lot which is only 200ft. During my immediate acceleration to 45 mph it occurs. I think mine is shifting from 4 to 6th. I would call mine a hesitation. It’s like it wants to shift from 4th to 6th but then decides it wants 5th. During this time it seems like it is reducing engine power because it is “shifting”. During this time, it is decelerating. I think there may be another thread that mentions this. They talk about removing the battery cable for a few minutes so the transmission can be retrained.

If I take the path out of my parking lot that is more like 600 ft, it does not occur. I’ll try to take video over the next couple of days.

This sounds like what happens with mine. Thank you for chiming in. I am paying attention for the next one. Albeit kind of strange, it’s not really a huge deal if it’s not hurting anything.

Keep me posted!

mhExped

Reaction score
I experience this same sort of "delay/hesitation when cold" on my '18 Limited. While shifting has become very rough on mine in general (worse when gears are skipped), there's a definite difference with cold engine vs warm. With a cold engine, accellerating up to speed after pulling away from the drive always feels like the engine has an extreme loss of power compared with the engine when it's warm.

For what it's worth, my '10 Flex w/ Ecoboost has a similar change in behavior when cold vs. warm.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition