1000 year flood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its painful to watch the devistation caused by the flood waters once again in Ellicott City MD. They call it a 1000 year flood but it just happened in 2016 also. More like every 2 years now. I’m blaming over developing the surrounding areas with shopping centers,too much blacktop and water diversion. It’s a shame, that is one cool old town that has one of my favorite restaurants in it. Some of the businesses just got reopened from the last flood damage for the holiday weekend.It might wind up a ghost town now.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure how long you've lived here but I've been here since BEFORE Hazel.....and Ellicott city has been given more money over the past 40 years, MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Fed cash(ie OUR CASH) and they insisted on spending it to "enhance" tourism instead of the twin 48" drains that they were told they needed on either side of main street going down the hill BECAUSE they had paved or otherwise DESTROYED the drainage in the 70's when they did the first set of "enhancements"

Pretty "ENHANCED" now, isn't it? How that for some Social Justice for you!

Dumb *****.....as I watch them on tv trying to pretend they did everything to Corps suggested....THEY ARE LYING, the Corps were the ones who engineered the 48" drains.....back in 1973

jeff

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure how long you've lived here but I've been here since BEFORE Hazel.....and Ellicott city has been given more money over the past 40 years, MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Fed cash(ie OUR CASH) and they insisted on spending it to "enhance" tourism instead of the twin 48" drains that they were told they needed on either side of main street going down the hill BECAUSE they had paved or otherwise DESTROYED the drainage in the 70's when they did the first set of "enhancements"

Pretty "ENHANCED" now, isn't it? How that for some Social Justice for you!

Dumb *****.....as I watch them on tv trying to pretend they did everything to Corps suggested....THEY ARE LYING, the Corps were the ones who engineered the 48" drains.....back in 1973

jeff
I didn’t know that. I’ve lived in MD my whole life and that’s the first time I’ve heard that.I did just here the Army Corps of Engineers were just getting ready to get a plan together before this just happened again. Either way it looks like greed is the culprit. Look at all the farmland they destroyed to build Columbia and it’s suburbs. I’ve bought a little place in WVA were I plan on going to retire and get away from all the over developing.Wild and Wonderful!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I moved here in '63......

Remember how Laurel used to flood every time it rained in the late 60's/early '70's because the Patuxent river would flood? The plan that EC got was similar to the one Laurel received....LAUREL did the work and has not flooded(other than Brock Bridge rd) in 35 years!

The Corps did a 2nd, very limited scope Independent Cost Estimate in the early 90's as well for EC but the town fathers limited the scope to the BOTTOM half of the hill....it was just to plan moving people around the old train station.

So, when they say they did "everything the Corps" recommended....ok, but from which study? The business owners are culpable too because they tacitly gave their approval when they took the "enhancement" money.

I'm sorry but when the people of the US give you our money to prevent a problem, then you spend the money for other things because the weather guys tell you it won't happen again..........

again I say: There's some real Social Justice for you.

I work quite closely on large construction projects with the Corps guys up at 10 Howard St....

jeff

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I moved here in '63......

Remember how Laurel used to flood every time it rained in the late 60's/early '70's because the Patuxent river would flood? The plan that EC got was similar to the one Laurel received....LAUREL did the work and has not flooded(other than Brock Bridge rd) in 35 years!

The Corps did a 2nd, very limited scope Independent Cost Estimate in the early 90's as well for EC but the town fathers limited the scope to the BOTTOM half of the hill....it was just to plan moving people around the old train station.

So, when they say they did "everything the Corps" recommended....ok, but from which study? The business owners are culpable too because they tacitly gave their approval when they took the "enhancement" money.

I'm sorry but when the people of the US give you our money to prevent a problem, then you spend the money for other things because the weather guys tell you it won't happen again..........

again I say: There's some real Social Justice for you.

I work quite closely on large construction projects with the Corps guys up at 10 Howard St....

jeff
Yeah I was born here in 65 so I was young when Agnes and Hazel hit. My dad has told me about when Hurricane Agnes took out the town of Daniels, which was real close to the farm he grew up on and real close to where I live now. I think that was 1972 ... I was 7 yrs. old. Daniels was on the Ho Co side of the Patapsco River just north of EC. I walk my dogs sometimes in the ghost town of Daniels. There is still an old church and some old cars still there washed from that flood. It’s part of Patapsco State Park now. The Business owners in EC are going to have a hard time getting flood Insurance now. Who’s going to buy “it only happens every 1000 yrs.” spiel now ?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Poor urban planning, in flood prone areas is the bigger problem.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Terms like 1000 year flood and generally anything else using a numbers/event nomenclature is often misunderstood. Its means there is a 1 in 1,000 chance that during any one year period the flood/event could occur. In other words, 0.1% chance yearly.

Some folks think it implies once every 1,000 years which is incorrect.

My house was built in '99. Builder spec'd a standard 25 year roof but we went with a prettier 30 year shingle $$ upgrade for nicer looks and for what I thought would be a longer lasting, better quality roof. Two years later it was damaged, pulled off and replaced with another 30 year roof. Fast forward to today, I'm fairly certain we are on roof #5, installed just a few years ago. Good thing much of the decking was replaced when the last one went one, sheathing probably started looking like swiss cheese.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Terms like 1000 year flood and generally anything else using a numbers/event nomenclature is often misunderstood. Its means there is a 1 in 1,000 chance that during any one year period the flood/event could occur. In other words, 0.1% chance yearly.

My house was built in '99. Builder spec'd a standard 25 year roof but we went with a prettier 30 year shingle $$ upgrade for nicer looks and for what I thought would be a longer lasting, better quality roof. Two years later it was damaged, pulled off and replaced with another 30 year roof. Fast forward to today, I'm fairly certain we are on roof #5, installed just a few years ago. Good thing much of the decking was replaced when the last one went one, sheathing probably started looking like swiss cheese.
I’ve installed plenty of roofs over the last 35 years, and I must say the old standard 3-tab shingles where 20 yr. and then they upped them to 25yr. The quality never changed just the warranty and the price. I used to pay $21.00 per square, now they are around $100.00 per square and if gas prices rise then so do shingles.... they’re made with petroleum products .......40yr. and 50yr. Are thicker than 30yr. Architectural shingles. The years on shingles is a factory pro-rated warranty for that amount of years which is subject to a lot of stipulations on installation, weather damage,tree damage,etc.....

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

No, sir, i regret to inform you you've just been sold shit products with shoddy installation.

You should get a lawyer to draw up some demand letters for your money back.

30 year roof #5 is ********, even if you were going on 100 yo and lived there all your life.