175k miles and becoming the Daily Driver - things to consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good point about the brake lines. I had one steel line pinhole (trans cooler line) where it went thru a plastic clip. Very worth checking.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brake lines are an easy replace, especially with all the vendors out there. You can coat the outside of your lines to protect them. I too live near San Fran, and noticed my back passenger side started to bubble. I've already had to repair sections above overhead console. Who puts divets on a roof to let salty water to pool, recipe for disaster. If they would make roof flat/rounded, water would roll off, not pool. I agree with others, maintenance items only, don't go overboard, and no to coils, boots only.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I purchased my 2000 XLT in 2008, with 78K for $6000. I am guessing, over the years. I put another $5000-5500 in it. It now has 104K and is a second vehicle. Something breaks or wears out, on a regular basis. It has been a battle, keeping up with it. It gets 11mpg and has unimpressive power. Newer vehicles, have improved in that area. However, it is great in snow and I have no car payment. It has been a good vehicle and I have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
A very good thread. Inspect the things that will lay you up: Brake lines, trans lines, hoses. The only preventative replacement I'd do are the idler, tension pulleys and belt. They can freeze up at 2 AM on the interstate and send the belt flying off. Or carry a set and tools. Then just stay on top of things.

My 2000 has 220K miles on it without too much trouble. Everything works because I fix it when it breaks. The worst jobs over the years were a steering box with hoses, transmission cooler lines and an exhaust manifold which rotted.