1997 4.6 headgasket replacement parts and tools list?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
305k miles leaking coolant and oil out of the right rear of the engine. confirmed it was the head gasket.

I have the top end of my engine apart with all bolts and all organized. I am ready to order parts but I am not sure what all I need to order. I know I will need a ft lb torque wrench, new head bolts, oil pump and pickup tube (how does this oil pan come off for that) new timing chain, guides and tensioners. I am going to get rebuilt heads rather than wait to have these redone and I also have some exhaust work to do on the left side.

In the mean time I have used my drill to turn the engine over and I keep wiping the cyl walls down with clean oil and a clean paper towel.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did a head gasket swap on my 99 mustang with that exact engine in it. First of all the oil pan does not have to come off. Just remove the front 4 bolts of the oil pan and that will free up the timing cover. As for the timing components. I'd order the chain, tensioners, and guides set from modular motorsports online. It's OEM stuff and much cheaper than anywhere else.

This is where I got everything and I found it to be the cheapest.

Head Gasket SetFord Racing Mustang GT 4.6L 2V Head Changing Kit M-6067-D46 (96-04 GT) - Free Shipping

Intake Manifold GasketMore Information for FEL-PRO MS92121

Timing Cover GasketMore Information for FEL-PRO TCS458692

Valve Cover Gasket More Information for FEL-PRO VS50481R

Rockauto Discount code for 5% 4319826139083105

You will also need the amount of coolant Your vehicle requires.
One set of oil change stuff
Plastic gasket scraper (or a couple of old credit cards)
Fuel line disconnect tool
Rent a harmonic balancer remover and a harmonic installer from a parts store (free)

My car is a mustangso The part numbers for the gaskets might be different for your car (Head Gaskets and bolts are the same for both 2V engine blocks) I'll try to keep thinking. I also have the alldata set of instructions for removal and assembly. I recommend pulling the head and the manifold together. Much easier than pulling them even though the guide tells you to do so. It is definitely a lot of work, but take your time and you'll do fine.

Last edited: