20"s or 22"s??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello All-

'03 Expy E.B. I have 18"s from an '06 F-150, but want to go bigger. Was thinking about 20"s or 22"s. Any input from folks who have done this?
I'm looking for experienced opinions about the possible drawbacks of either one, and any related input folks have. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really you shouldn't lose any breaking power or gas mileage if the contact area, offset and over all height from ground to top are relatively close. But 22's will give you a more rigid tire wall, less susceptible to spinning out when you steer at high speeds and need to make a quick correction. thats why most sports cars now come with rims with a small rubberband of a tire on them.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^ That's true as long as the new wheel/tire combo doesn't weigh any more than the 18's.

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm....all good points. Think I need to make sure I weigh the 18's and see what I'm working with.

I'm just having a hard time deciding between the two sizes. I'm thinking that the 22"s will ride kinda harsh (since I'll have to go with a 40 or 45 tire). Thought the 20"s might be a better compromise in terms of ride quality and improved handling. I know, a lot of this also has to do with tire choice. I'm not planning on keeping the 18"s for winter rims, so I'll be going with some type of all-season tire.

What are folks here running either size on their 03 or newer Expy experiencing?

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you dont loss power or braking power either, i have 22's and i can make my tires smoke on my expo. i think you should go with 22's you will like the look better than the 20's, just my 2 cent

af mezkin

Reaction score
I'm riding on 20's, I think my ride comfort has not changed that much, but I still have original shocks with 91K. Once I replace the shocks along with other suspension parts within the next few weeks it should restore the factory ride comfort.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
even though i have a 99 i have 22''s even for you yr 22''s are a really good size,keeping in mind,turnig radius, tire rubbing and mpg consumption.with a good set of rubbers underneath the wheels you're good to go.not advising to keep them on during the winter.

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was car shopping last year, I test drove an 06 with 305 45 22. Its a nice look. Fills the wheel wheels quite well and has a decent amount of sidewall on the tire. I really didnt notice any issues braking or accelerating with them. The ride was not harsh at all. My vote is for 22's on a 305/45!

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd def go with 22's because i hear way too often when someone gets 20's about a month later they wish they would have got a set of 22's my ride comfort is almost the same and i run 24's. I switch wheels alot due to work travel if im going more than 1000 miles then i usually run stock 17's. I can tell if there were a huge difference, i do notice the stopping power decrease and the gas mileage decrease but its only about 1 mpg