2000 Exp tow capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtrezza

Reaction score
Hello all,
newbie here looking for some help. I am trying to figure out what my tow capacity is on my Expy. Thought I could determine from the VIN using the Ford website, but no go there. The owners manual gives me some indication, but the capacity is based on the rear gear size and I do not know how to figure out what rear I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2000 Expedition XLT
5.4 L 4wd

:D

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a metal tag on the rear differential cover bolt . the first number is the size of the rear end 8.8 or 9.75 etc... the second number is the gear ratio 3:55 etc...... you should be around 8900lbs towing capacity with that 5.4L. if you go bigger rotors front and rear and change gear ratio to around 4:11 or 4:56 you will able to tow more, how much more i'm not sure . maybe 600lb-1000lbs more. hope this helps

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind that increasing the towing ability through rotor and gear changes still doesn't increase the amount that the hitch can carry.

Spring and tire ratings are also a factor.

If you need to tow more than 8000 Lbs regularly, get an Excursion.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thought.....does your Expy have the factory tow option, or are you going to put a hitch on? The reason I ask this is that the factory tow option includes both tranny and oil coolers (as well as other nice extras) which are good things to have when towing frequently/large loads.
If putting on an aftermarket hitch, you may also want to add the above mentioned items.....

OP
OP
J

jtrezza

Reaction score
Wow,
thanks folks. This will help a lot.
I will get under and check the pumpkin for the gear size. The truck came with the factory tow package so I am assuming that means I also have the oil and trans coolers.
Really appreciate the help.
Jim

OP
OP
J

jtrezza

Reaction score
Ok so I checked out the rear and it is a 3.31 9.75.
The owners manual says that put me at 6400lbs, sounds low?

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeh thats right it is low , man ! i have 3:55 and i was sad. changing mine to 4:56 asap, along with the 6" lift and 35 " tires. with that low of a gear ratio it will put tons of strain on your tranny . i cant believe thats the gear ratio with a tow package. i would say 6400lbs would be right on the money. i think you might have a lot of expensive upgrades coming your way if you plan on towing alot. sorry jim

Bjamin

Reaction score
3 Nails -

Being an amatuer, how much (rough guess) to change the gears to what you did?

Thanks!