2000 Expedition won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanman1

Reaction score
Hello all,
My 2000 Expedition 4.6 XLT won't start. Exterior lights turn on, radio, etc. but whenever I go to crank, all I get is a click, and nothing more. A few days ago if I tried a few times, it would crank and start right up, but now I'm not getting anything. I went down to O'reillys and checked the battery, battery tested good, replaced the starter solenoid but still getting the same issue. Any thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Test for 12v coming out of the starter solenoid when a helper tries to start it. If you have 12v there then check for 12v at the starter while trying to start.
If you have 12v at the starter, try giving the starter a good hit with a hammer.

OP
OP
ryanman1

ryanman1

Reaction score
Update:
After looking at starter, it is covered in oil. Great another problem D:
However, I did get it to start by hammer after cleaning oil off of it. Running right now to get the engine running and unfreeze it. About to go around the block once after it heats up, and will try another start after I get back. Thanks for everyone's input, very much appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since it started with the hammer hit, that is your indication that the starter is having issues. It would be prudent to swap it out for a rebuilt. If you don't, eventually it will give up the ghost.

OP
OP
ryanman1

ryanman1

Reaction score
Since it started with the hammer hit, that is your indication that the starter is having issues. It would be prudent to swap it out for a rebuilt. If you don't, eventually it will give up the ghost.

That's the plan for tomorrow. 28 degrees and 7 pm right now, rules me out of changing a starter out for tonight lol. About how hard is it to change it out? Taking it to a shop vs. DIY how much is it worth?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't had to change mine but other members have posted that it is three bolts. You'll need extensions and swivels and it should be straight forward. top bolt may not be seen but felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt