2003 Cranks but will not fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 Ford EB 4x4 parked at Home Depot, the truck was running fine. Came back out with my digital T-bevel and the truck would not fire, just crank and crank and crank.

So far I have checked all the fuses, replaced R203, I don't know if I have fuel rail pressure or not (borrowing a fuel pressure gauge tonight). I do not hear anything when I take the fuel cap off and turn the key to On right before turning it any farther would engage the starter. This makes me believe I have either a bad fuel pump of no power to the fuel pump. Which makes me think Bad R303 which is soldered in on the back of the fuse block or a dead fuel pump.

When I borrow the fuel pressure gauge I am also buying a can of starter fluid to see if it fire that way to eliminate all timing and engine run electronics.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Plati

Reaction score
Probably not this ... but could be
fuel cutoff switch
page 247 in owners manual
switch.jpg

in the old days, i would have checked a spark plug to see if it sparked
dunno if people do that on cars nowdays

also, be careful with what you do
i have created NEW problems trying to find the original one

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, actually currently looking at that or a dead fuel pump. Trying to find a way to confirm it without actually replacing both. Anybody know a place I can bypass the Fuse Panel and get 12 volts to the fuel pump to power it manually? I bought a fuel pressure gauge so I can now check pressure if I can get power to the fuel pump to prove it good or bad.

As for Mileage, I have over 395,000 miles on the 2003 Expy.

How do you like the PowerStop brakes? I went whole hug with their performance package so I could haul the Expy down from speed as quick as possible even with its size. The vented slotted drilled rotors with the carbon fiber ceramic pads provide the best braking performance yet for the price on the Expy.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couple of questions cuz i had this happen twice and it was both the fuel pump the 1st time then the rear fuel shutoff switch...it kept tripping due to a bad fuel relay...the troubleshooting took 2 days to find it as they went through everything THOROUGHLY...1st day was finding it was a fuel prob...2nd day was shooting wires...switches...relays...everything...i was out of town and was supposed to get back on the road 2 days before it happened...so glad i was back home where i grew up and not driving back to VA

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, actually currently looking at that or a dead fuel pump. Trying to find a way to confirm it without actually replacing both. Anybody know a place I can bypass the Fuse Panel and get 12 volts to the fuel pump to power it manually? I bought a fuel pressure gauge so I can now check pressure if I can get power to the fuel pump to prove it good or bad.

As for Mileage, I have over 395,000 miles on the 2003 Expy.

How do you like the PowerStop brakes? I went whole hug with their performance package so I could haul the Expy down from speed as quick as possible even with its size. The vented slotted drilled rotors with the carbon fiber ceramic pads provide the best braking performance yet for the price on the Expy.

With 395K :favorites37::favorites37:on the clock, I would expect the fuel pump gave up the ghost also if it has not already been replaced earlier in life. I had to replace the soldered fuel pump relay on my GEM board but mine has low miles compared to yours. Check that switch in the rear cover as the fuel pump may have over-amped enough to kick it. I have not had this happen (yet). Hope you find it soon.
That YouTube vid shows the wire to look for to put 12v on to bypass fuse/relay I think.
Good Luck

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With 395K :favorites37::favorites37:on the clock, I would expect the fuel pump gave up the ghost also if it has not already been replaced earlier in life. I had to replace the soldered fuel pump relay on my GEM board but mine has low miles compared to yours. Check that switch in the rear cover as the fuel pump may have over-amped enough to kick it. I have not had this happen (yet). Hope you find it soon.
That YouTube vid shows the wire to look for to put 12v on to bypass fuse/relay I think.
Good Luck

Thanks, I'll rewatch the video.

UPDATE: I have put a fuel pressure gauge on the main rail. Zero pressure under all key positions and starting modes. Rear emergency switch not tripped. Sprayed 5 seconds of Valvoline Starter Fluid into the intake, the Expy started right up and ran for several seconds so it is not timing, engine electronics, or one of the 8 lockouts that prevent an engine from starting if their box isn't checked.

It has to be the Fuel Pump or power being cut off to the Fuel Pump somewhere along the path to the pump.

OP
OP
Transporter

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that video just shows the bad relay that can go bad behind the Fuse Box, but not how to jumper around that to prove that is it or to power Fuel Pump to prove the fuel pump is still good.

So anybody know how to bypass the fuse block to power the Fuel Pump? Does anybody know how to jumper the Fuse Box is R303 is bad?

Suggestion?

Plati

Reaction score
have you tried searching this Forum?
I believe there has been a LOT of posts / discussion on this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris7990