2003 Exp EB key did not turn off car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great, just my luck.

I have meter, can get a test light if i should. At this point the sucker is pretty much parked, so I'm willing to do about anything.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will also need a few sewing pins. I prefer the kind with the little balls on the end. You will insert these into the connectors so that you can take voltage readings without having to puncture the wire insulation.

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great idea, i was wondering if i had to try and slit the wires.

One question - since i probably wont be able to return the CJB, what is the reason for placing the old one back?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At this point you don't know what is wrong with the system. If you start changing parts you can mask the problem or create new problems. You end up chasing your tail usually over something simple.

You will need access to the ignition switch connector - the placement of the pins has to be so that they will not contact anything metal and cause a short to ground. The pin is inserted between the plastic connector and the terminal so that the ball end is coming out with the wire. If you need a pic of what I'm talking about let me know.

Each pin will have 12 volts on it when the switch is turned to run or start. You want to see if they are staying powered after the switch is returned to the off position. Refer to the power distribution diagram 13-14. Connector C250 at the ignition switch, pins 1-6-7 are the wires you want to check voltage on when the ignition switch is turned to run and again turned off.

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. That's what I thought, wanted to verify.

If you don't mind, please send the picture of the pin in the wire so I understand.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much. It will be this afternoon before I get a chance to work on it.

OK - i have the old CJB reinstalled. Getting ready to do voltage test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is what I see as soon as battery connected. No key, ignition switch unplugged. IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Old CJB. Did the same with new one.

I started up the vehicle, when I turned off with key, it kept running. I removed F34 and it died immediately.

Dash lights, radio, fan all on.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the ignition switch disconnected see if you have power on both sides of fuse 13 in the cjb.

F34 protects the fuel pump so no power, no fuel.

Since you have the steering wheel / airbag off, always hold it with the bag pointing away from you. That way should it go off all you have to do is change your pants. Hold it the wrong way and it may be a trip to the hospital.

How are you at reading maps? If you can read those without issue the electrical diagrams are similar.

Last edited: