2003 Exp EB key did not turn off car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I opened up the steering column and the drivers side kick panel area and could not find any "visual wiring issues". I also looked at the major lines from alternator and battery under the hood but did not see any problems.

I read about others having weird electrical issues with their expeditions on the F150 forum and their fix was a new fuse box. The first time it happened back in Oct, a mechanic friend mentioned that was probably my issue.

So, looks like I will be replacing the box, ugh - darn thing is not cheap.

More later.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No its not cheap But make sure you get the part number off of the original fuse box as fordd used TWO different fuse boxes in the 03 model year Early or late production

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, when I pulled fuse 102 and nothing changed - what does that tell you guys?

Stamp, can you answer this please?

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse 102 is a 30amp fuse in the central junction box located in the passenger kick panel. Are you sure you pulled the correct fuse?

What do you do in the IT business? When possible I can word responses in Geek Speak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse 102 is a 30amp fuse in the central junction box located in the passenger kick panel. Are you sure you pulled the correct fuse?

What do you do in the IT business? When possible I can word responses in Geek Speak.

Yes sir, I pulled the correct one. I checked twice, pulled 2 times and nothing at all happened. So, should it have cutoff when i pulled that fuse? Since it didnt, does that elimate any issues from the steering column?

I also pulled the ground off the battery and nothing happened. After a couple of minutes the engine turned off, but it stayed in the accessory mode. I replaced the CJB, stayed in accessory mode.

Theses days I'm pretty much Project Mgmt. Most of my IT tech skills are pretty old. But feel free to speak Geek to me, i can probably understand you.LOL

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That fuse controls quite a few circuits in the cabin and engine compartment. One primary circuit is the pcm. Since the engine still ran then the wrong fuse had to be pulled. This is assuming the old central junction box has been reinstalled.

FYI - there aren't different modes such as "accessory"

Fuse 102 is one of the larger fuses on the lower right side of the box.

Attachments

• 11-01.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes sir that is the one i pulled and this was on the old CJB. The new one is in now, but as soon as i hooked up the battery, the radio came on and the dash lite up, while the key was out. So, I have to assume the box is not the issue, but maybe it is since the car didnt die when i pulled the fuse.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked further, the pcm is powered on 3 circuits. Pulling the one fuse only killed a portion of the pcm.

It would be better to have the old central junction box reinstalled.

Next time it doesn't shut off pull fuse F1.34 in the old central junction box. That circuit powers the fuel pump.

To continue troubleshooting you will need a digital multimeter or a test light in order to check the wiring.

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, i was planning on putting the old one back and returning the new one. That sucker was $250.

Will do, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thank you so much for doing this for me, I have such a hard time understanding the electrical stuff.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck returning the new one. Usually once the package is opened there are no returns on electrical goodies.

Do you have a meter or test light?