2003 Exp rear knuckle play.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moemantha

Reaction score
I have a large amount of play where the rear lower control arm mounts to the knuckles. You can lift the tire and it freely moves up and down 1/2" or more. Can the bushings be replaced on the knuckles?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything can be replaced... From what you are describing, it sounds more like a ball joint problem. Because the 2nd gens went to independent rear susp. it will have lower and upper ball joints just like the front. I would replace the lower ball joint, and that should take care of the play.

OP
OP
M

Moemantha

Reaction score
There's no ball joints: turns out its the lower knuckle bushing. Got 2 on order. Crazy play in the old ones lol.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moemantha

Reaction score
They called it a bushing, but i'm sure it looks like that. I'll take pics.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds good. I didn't mean to be rude and call you out on it being a ball joint haha. I had no idea they looked so different from front ball joints. Good luck with the fix.

OP
OP
M

Moemantha

Reaction score
All fixed. It was the balljoint, but it is a bushing. I'll post pics of the old bushings Monday. The were duuuunnnnn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

RFink

Reaction score
Re: 2003 Exp rear knuckle play

I know this is not a recent thread but I've got play in mine that causes the rotor to rub the edge of the bracket on right hand turns, left rear disc, ramps etc. Just bought a hub/bearing and this got me wondering.