2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I've got two of the tires mounted. Went with the Toyo RT's, 35x12.5R20's. Also had them siped for better winter traction. The other two are also mounted but still at Les Schwab... will pick them up in the morning. Not going to mount them onto the Expedition until I get the bumper on.

On that note, I have someone lined up to fab up a mounting scheme for the bumper. Heading up to Kelso tomorrow afternoon. Found them on "Thumbtack". Never heard of it before and couldn't tell you how I stumbled onto it. It's a father, son, & friend business. They look to do good work. If all goes well I'll be posting pictures of the mounted bumper tomorrow evening. Still primered so will need to pull it off again to have it painted.

IMG_6788.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got two of the tires mounted. Went with the Toyo RT's, 35x12.5R20's. Also had them siped for better winter traction. The other two are also mounted but still at Les Schwab... will pick them up in the morning. Not going to mount them onto the Expedition until I get the bumper on.

On that note, I have someone lined up to fab up a mounting scheme for the bumper. Heading up to Kelso tomorrow afternoon. Found them on "Thumbtack". Never heard of it before and couldn't tell you how I stumbled onto it. It's a father, son, & friend business. They look to do good work. If all goes well I'll be posting pictures of the mounted bumper tomorrow evening. Still primered so will need to pull it off again to have it painted.

Those tires look great! They also look really big in that picture. Will they fit in the wheel well? I forgot, did you do a lift on it already? I'm sure you can't wait to see the bumper on it.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Andy. Yes, I have a 3.5/2.5 leveling kit on it. A lot of people in the forum are running the same size tire with the lift so I'm sure they'll fit. I may need to do a little trimming here and there to keep from rubbing on turns. But you're right, they look huge!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy. Yes, I have a 3.5/2.5 leveling kit on it. A lot of people in the forum are running the same size tire with the lift so I'm sure they'll fit. I may need to do a little trimming here and there to keep from rubbing on turns. But you're right, they look huge!
I'm thinking that I may want to put a small lift (1-1/2" - 2") on my 17. I think I would just do the same front and back. I'm not sure what my wife will say about it. :)

I just wonder if it will change gas mileage.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't think a small lift would affect gas mileage but I could be wrong. With the 3.5/2.5 it was noticeably different getting out of the Expedition... a bit more of a drop as I slide out of the seat. With the bigger tires it'll be even more so. I drive my mom around a fare amount and the lift alone was almost too much for her. May need to invest in a step stool :). I want to ditch the running boards. Yours has one of the disappearing ones, doesn't it? I really like those! Best of both worlds... out of site when you don't need it but there when you do.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think a small lift would affect gas mileage but I could be wrong. With the 3.5/2.5 it was noticeably different getting out of the Expedition... a bit more of a drop as I slide out of the seat. With the bigger tires it'll be even more so. I drive my mom around a fare amount and the lift alone was almost too much for her. May need to invest in a step stool :). I want to ditch the running boards. Yours has one of the disappearing ones, doesn't it? I really like those! Best of both worlds... out of site when you don't need it but there when you do.
Yes, I like the power running boards. It looks so much cleaner with them retracted but I still have them to get in and out which I need with my short legs. (I'm 5'6")

I am really starting to like the lifted look even if I stay with stock tires and wheels. It looks more truck like, which I really like. :) I'm just concerned about what it does to the drive train and the steering and suspension components.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you lift it you'll want bigger tires... it's just the way us guys are wired :). Your Expedition looks longer than most. Even with mine, once I put the level kit on there the tires just looked too small...

IMG_6283.JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you lift it you'll want bigger tires... it's just the way us guys are wired :). Your Expedition looks longer than most. Even with mine, once I put the level kit on there the tires just looked too small...

View attachment 20356
I have the EL extended length size expedition. I've got 20" wheels and 275 55R 20 tires on it now. It's mostly a highway cruiser so I don't want to go with tires that make a lot of noise. I had some on my last Expedition and they drove us crazy on our trips.