2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been working with Custom Offsets to get the chrome wheels returned. The guys over there have been amazingly helpful throughout the entire purchase and return process. They even got me prepaid shipping labels to send the wheels back. I'll end up paying for it once they settle everything but the shipping costs are a bit cheaper with a business account vs me bringing them to some UPS store. It'll be nice to get them out of the garage.

Progress on the bumper is pretty much limited to the weekend these days so I'm not making much progress... sorry about that!

I did manage to cut off the old bumper mounts but I still need to do some grinding of the remnants to clean it up. Then I'll get the bumper back up in place and see how close the ends of the frame beams are to the back of the bumper. I'm thinking about mounting plates on the ends of the beams and the back of the bumpers for a bolt on solution. Something like this...

upload_2017-5-9_21-33-41.png

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an unexpected surprise today!! I wasn't expecting these until Monday!

IMG_6741a.JPG

I think these will go well with the Arizona Beige of the trim... the angles of the spokes give a lot of color variation from almost black to almost gold. Can't wait to get some tires!! Will have to wait until pay day :(

FullSizeRender.jpg

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a piece of the trim sitting on the rim. Pretty dang close. It depends a bit on the viewing angle but I think from the side it's going to be close... certainly close enough :). The real test will be when the wheels/tires are mounted and sitting in the daylight. Not sure I'm going to be able to wait until payday. May need to break out the old credit card. Although right now she has no front bumper so I really wouldn't be able to drive around much.

IMG_6744.JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a piece of the trim sitting on the rim. Pretty dang close. It depends a bit on the viewing angle but I think from the side it's going to be close... certainly close enough :). The real test will be when the wheels/tires are mounted and sitting in the daylight. Not sure I'm going to be able to wait until payday. May need to break out the old credit card. Although right now she has no front bumper so I really wouldn't be able to drive around much.
I can relate to that! I think it will look great once it's on your truck.

You could always temporarily mount a 4 X 4 out front, and you can call it a bumper so you could drive around. :D

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to back the Expedition out of the garage but the battery was essentially dead. I noticed the battery getting weak last week when I started it up. Was going to roll it out of the garage and jump it with my Subaru but I could shift it out of park!!

So for those of you who may find yourselves in the same boat someday, there's a interlock release right below the steering column...

Depending on how low you have the steering wheel, you may need to release the column lock and tilt it up... remove the hole cover, reach in and up with your finger and you'll feel a little round switch that you just need to press (pulling the tip of your finger towards you), sort of like if you were gesturing someone to "come here" with your finger. With the button pressed you can now shift out of park.

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6747.JPG

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wasn't super productive today but did manage to do some grinding on the frame posts to clean up the remnants for the old bumper mount. Lifted the bumper in place and was trying to see why it wasn't moving forward further and it came off the floor jack and onto my leg. Luckily it went off side ways and hit the left end of the bumper so the full weight didn't hit me... phew!!

IMG_6749.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6754.JPG