2003 XLT Intermittent Turn Signal Issue SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Ford Expedition XLT. I rarely use my emergency hazard flashers, but I used them twice last week and now I have an intermittent turn signal issue. Coincidence?

Both the left and right turn signals will cut on with the switch. After they run for a few seconds and sometimes they turn off. Now, If I flip the switch on and off a few times they will always cut back on. Sometimes when I turn them on, they make an odd stutter step sound for a beat or two.

I replaced all four turn signal bulbs today. Before I put the new ones in, I cleaned the bulb holders with a small bottle brush just to make sure there I didn't have a corrosion issue with contacts.
I am not sure if that fixed it or not, but will drive it and try it.

In case this doesn't fix it, I went ahead and read lot's of threads on the subject. I think these might be good steps for me follow to isolate the problem. Please check my math on this...
1) Pull fuses #2 and #18 (Turn Signals) check and replace if needed.
2) Pull fuses #36 and #42 (Trailer Turn Signals) and leave them out. If the problem stops, I figure I have something going wrong with the circuits to the trailer wiring that I can work on later.
3) Pull the shroud off the steering column and carefully check the wiring pins as they enter the back of the plastic connector shells into the multifunction switch

Is there a safe way to clean these contacts?

4) Replace the turn signal relay (under the driver’s dash)
5) Replace the multifunction switch

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of vehicles have two indicator relays (one for normal operation, operating just one front and one rear light, then a second emergency flasher relay for operating all 4 indicator lights). I don’t know if the expedition has the 2 relay system, but if it does it sounds like the emergency flasher relay has gone bad.. I would see if the expedition has the emergency flasher relay and I would try changing that first.. I don’t have a wiring diagram for your year so can only suggest this..

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of vehicles have two indicator relays (one for normal operation, operating just one front and one rear light, then a second emergency flasher relay for operating all 4 indicator lights). I don’t know if the expedition has the 2 relay system, but if it does it sounds like the emergency flasher relay has gone bad.. I would see if the expedition has the emergency flasher relay and I would try changing that first.. I don’t have a wiring diagram for your year so can only suggest this..

I believe (from reading other threads) that this model year (2003) has the one relay for both the turn signal and hazard lights.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I would try a new flasher relay first. There's a cover that pops off of the relay housing to access the relay. The relay box is located kinda high up behind the driver's left knee bolster.

EP27 Flasher Relay on Amazon

Ham - Thanks for the picture and input. I have been driving for several days after replacing the bulbs and the problem has not returned. I too kinda think it's relay-related and will not come back if I don't use my Emergency Flashers again. So, I have decided to shelve any more work right now. But if it does return, I will focus on replacing that relay first.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have safety inspection in NC they will likely hit the hazard lights, would be a bad time to find out the flasher remains a problem.

Doug Reed

Reaction score
Congratulations. You are in the 2nd gen electrical gremlins world. It is common. Mine include power side mirrors (dealer can't figure it out, I tried new switch), radio went out for a period of time then came back mysteriously, adjustable foot pedals quit. I am forgetting a few. Good news is it runs great, trans works well and the air blows cold! That's all I really need.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations. You are in the 2nd gen electrical gremlins world. It is common. Mine include power side mirrors (dealer can't figure it out, I tried new switch), radio went out for a period of time then came back mysteriously, adjustable foot pedals quit. I am forgetting a few. Good news is it runs great, trans works well and the air blows cold! That's all I really need.
Reseat the 3 connectors under rear of your driver seat. The pedals and mirrors apparently go through the driver seat module. I know an improperly seated connector on mine led to the dealer replacing both mirror heads not long after it was purchased new. Turned out to be the connector under the driver seat.

This would not impact the radio though.

Electrical gremlins are part of modern vehicles I think. One of the reasons I miss my 78 Bronco so much.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ham - Thanks for the picture and input. I have been driving for several days after replacing the bulbs and the problem has not returned. I too kinda think it's relay-related and will not come back if I don't use my Emergency Flashers again. So, I have decided to shelve any more work right now. But if it does return, I will focus on replacing that relay first.

Well, the turn signal issue returned, so I was forced to take action. I purchased this relay from Amazon:
CEC Industries EF27 12V Heavy Duty 5-Pin Electronic Flasher Relay for Incandescent Bulbs (1-Pack)

Turn Signal Relay Purchased from Amazon_FEB_2024.jpg

The reason I bought this one over the many others available is because multiple Amazon Reviewers specifically stated that they had success with this relay in their 2003 Ford Expedition that had incandescent turn signal and brake light bulbs AND was for the model of Expedition that does not have side mirror signal indicators. So, they confirmed that this relay was used with success in a 2003 Expedition setup the same as mine.

I watched these two videos. Each provided me the insight needed to tackle this. I should mention that the 2nd video has an unnecessary step of removing the bolts that hold the relay box in-place.

Clean Beast

Jeremy Arceneaux

I did test the new relay by turning on the Expedition and trying various combinations of turn signals, brakes and emergency flashers. All worked well. However, I would have to say that the relay I just installed is quieter than the original blue Ford relay I removed.