2004 Expedition cranks but doesn't fire/start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nyjetfan

Reaction score
If you consider a fuse box from a savage yard just keep in mind you may get one that is in need of repair There is a easy way to bypass the relay contacts in an emergency all it takes is a large diameter paperclip

Read the attached link pay attention to post #7 and #12

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2004-eddie-bauer-fuel-pump-driver-module.30227/

Wow that's great info, and I agree - if I get a used fusebox, I'd probably send it out to have the fuel pump relay replaced, that way I have a used box with a brand new relay as I'm not aware of any other components having issues other than the fuel pump relay.

Can anyone comment on whether the fuel pump relay will show signs of failing (ie sometimes it acts up sometimes it doesn't) or will it be like this fuel pump where it was working perfectly fine, shut car off and went inside store for 10 minutes, then came out and it wasn't starting.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as showing signs of failing Yes there can be signs or not. Intermitting electrical problems can be very hard to troubleshoot. Relays can show sings of burn marks on the circuit board due to bad solder connections or it could be very possible that the contacts inside of the relay are burnt and not making good contact one time and make good contact the next time. In that case there will be no visible signs.

OP
OP
N

nyjetfan

Reaction score
Just picked up the expedition and the fuel pump definitely did the trick. Runs nice and seems to be a little more responsive to the throttle.