2004 Eddie Bauer Fuel Pump Driver Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grumps

Reaction score
I know this has been asked somewhere, but there are no answers. Internet search keeps bringing up F-150. I am trying to locate this module and cannot find it. This is a 2004 Expedition.

NO, it is not on a cross member above, around, under, or otherwise near the spare tire. It is not mounted near the rear wheel well. It is not above the fuel tank (as far as I can tell), and it's not on either side of the chassis under the doors or the bumper. I have spent the last 2 hours crawling around under this truck and cannot find it. WHERE IS THIS PART?

I haven't pulled any of the interior trim panels off, yet, and don't want to drop the fuel tank to see if it's tucked in there. The only wiring harness that goes to the tank is the one for the sending unit, not the FPDM.

I apologize if this post is a bit rash, but I am frustrated. People have videos and pictures of their FPDM, but these are 2003, 2006, 1999, etc., or as I said, it's from an F-150.

I find it incomprehensible that no one knows where this module is on a 2004 Expy. Is the EB different somehow? Does it even have one? All the parts sellers seem to think so, but none can tell me where it is. Ford says they need the truck to locate it. REALLY!?

Kind regards,
Grumps

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

You will spend the rest of your life looking for something that isn't there I have posted this many times on this forum

The Fuel Pump Driver Module is ONLY on the 2005 and 2006 Expeditions

The FPDM was used on other years on the F150 BUT ONLY 05 and 06 expeditions

OP
OP
Grumps

Grumps

Reaction score
Bedrck47:

Thank you for your reply. I have obviously been mis-informed. Odd that they waited so long to put these on Expeditions. My daughter's 02 Taurus had one. So it looks like this truck still uses the older, return line setup. Given this, it seems my fuel pump is probably gone, then.

Thanks, again.

Kind regards,
Grumps

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure you check to see it your problem is the pump. Both the 03 and 04 expy have had problems with the fuel pump relay which is on the circuit board inside of the fuse box. Check to see if you have voltage to the pump at the fuel shut-off switch.
There are many threads on this subject here on the forum.

How many miles on your expy?

OP
OP
Grumps

Grumps

Reaction score
I will check the voltage at the switch tonight. Should have done so earlier but was not in the mood to pull trim panels (they've got it just so you can't get to the wiring).

It's got the 5.4L and has 178K miles on it.

It started as (what seems to be) a typical issue with these trucks: Driving along - doesn't matter what speed - and the engine just shuts off. No shudder, no sputter (except for the last couple times, but very mild). It's almost as if you turn the ignition off. This was once in a blue moon, but this past month, it's been daily - even several times a day. It used to start right back up, but now won't start at all. I really don't want to drop the fuel tank, especially since it's parked on the street.

I have heard that this is the relay that fails, which sucks because you can't replace it (well, I suppose you could but my soldering skills are none, and there's the risk of damaging the board further). Of course, a quick way is to check voltage at the inertia switch. I will start pricing this board just in case I need a new one.

Thanks, again for replying back.

Kind regards,
Grumps

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If it is the original pump it wouldn't hurt to put a new one in and also a new fuel filter. If it is the fuse box then your looking around $350.00 for a new fuse box They are simple to change out and also there are places on e-bay that will do the repairs. You could remove the fuse block and take it apart to see if you see any signs of burning on the board

Look on you tube for the following video
2003 Ford Expedition Fuse Box Problem & Replacement

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also look at this video and if you determine that the pump is good but the fuse box is the problem let me know and I will tell you how to jumper out the fuel pump relay until you replace the fuse box or get the fuse box repaired

2003-2006 Ford Expedition Crank No Start Diagnosis
photo.jpg
FordTechMakuloco

OP
OP
Grumps

Grumps

Reaction score
Bedrck47:

Thanks so much for that link. Dude saved me a ton of time, and his diagnostic procedure was spot on. So, it seems my FP relay is gone. Put the power to the pump like he said and truck fired right up. Now I need to find a fluse box (maybe if I can just get the board, that would be nice).

Thanks for all your help. If you could shoot me the method for bypassing this relay so I can get the truck to a safer location, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for everything.

Kind regards,
Grumps

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sending you a private message now called a conversation but a different conversation than we are currently having

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem about trying to find a fuse box or a circuit board is that you could end up with an older board or box that could be just waiting to fail.. The new fuse boxes have been improved. and hopefully the problem has been resolved.

The fuse box that is currently in my 04 has a mfg. date of 2012 on it so that tells me the original box has been replaced somewhere in the past.

I also would be concerned if you have the original fuel pump with the mileage you have on the expy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65