2005 Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your able to do but I would start preparing to sue them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the techs at Ford said that what is making the noise is the oil pump and that the engine shouldn't last to long. The couple.times we drove it, the oil pressure didn't move. Do these have a problem with the oil pumps? I just don't see the oil pump making it die and everything when it warns up

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What ever happened with this? Did you get it figured out?

Victor

We picked the truck up from the repair place. Seems to run better and doesn't get AS bad of the knocking sound. Still wants to die and will die after warmed up. When they took it to ford, ford said it was off timing probably by a tooth because the phasers fire one and then the other right after. I am starting to wonder if its timed right if it will run right?!?!? Will probably pull the oil pan and clean it and the pick up tube as a just in case and if it still does it, pull the vct connection to see what that does on bank 1. Then after all that we will have to retime it OURSELVES so I know its actually done right and see what happens. Can't touch it as of right now though

Have another thread in the engine that is help 05 5.4 oil pump... http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=15673
Gives a little more insight to it

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old Thread, but just an update on it and maybe get some help.

We haven't droven the Ford since pretty much last May. Our lawyer gave the company til september 1st to inspect it and then we are "free" to do what we want with it. I had to get a new battery the other day because the old one was dead, but fired right up when I hooked it up. I drove it around and thought that it was magically fixed....sadly no. Again when it gets up to temp, it will stumble and die when slowing down to a stop or backing it up and having to stop to put it into drive. There seems to be no more cam phaser noise though coming from it when I have to restart it like there use to be. I know that it is off at least a tooth in timing because when the Ford dealer hooked it up to their machine, they said that one phaser fired right after the other instead of together.

Now here is my question, I got a check engine light that finally came back on that I am going to check tomorrow when I have a chance. I still need to take the oil pan off and clean it out to see if there is anything in it, but I am sure replace the VCT sensors....but since I don't have the phaser noise I am a little stumped. Could it be the off timing causing it to die like that when it is warmed up and that could be the only thing wrong with it now????

If so, how hard is it to retime this engine or would it be better to just go to a shop / ford and have them do it?

billycuth

Reaction score
I don't have anything to add other than your experience here practically singlehandedly changed my mind about aggressively pursuing an 05.

Initially I was looking for 05/06, but after reading this and also seeing all the red warning lights on ETIS about the extended warranty on the ignition coils on 05 VINS, I changed it to 04/06. Ended up getting an 06. What a nightmare. Good luck.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck and enjoy it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say start with what you know is wrong. Get the timing fixed and then go from there.

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checked the codes and getting the same 0345 & 0340 codes. Drove it this morning but unplugged the camshaft sensor on the drivers side and it didn't really stumble at all and didn't die out. I have unplugged the VCT sensor before and it stumbles but doesn't die either....so should I switch out the sides and see if it goes to the passenger or am I looking at something else that is going on?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked the codes and getting the same 0345 & 0340 codes. Drove it this morning but unplugged the camshaft sensor on the drivers side and it didn't really stumble at all and didn't die out. I have unplugged the VCT sensor before and it stumbles but doesn't die either....so should I switch out the sides and see if it goes to the passenger or am I looking at something else that is going on?

Any further updates on this? I just bought an 05 Eddie Bauer Expy with 119,700 miles on it. So far I'm not having any of the problems you describe. I'm planning to take mine on an 1100 mile road trip in a couple of weeks.