2005 only have first gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65comet

Reaction score
Last night, pulling normal from a stop light, went through first gear and it was shifting to second. At the shift to second I had a sort of pop feeling go through the vehicle. I looked down and saw the tach was rev'ed up and I'm not moving any faster. I figured I'd blown a trans cooler line. Pulled over and checked the fluid level. It was showing over fill (had checked it last weekend and smack in middle of normal). Decided to see what happens when I put it in drive. First gear fine, then a shift to nothing. Very close to home, so I slowed down, pulled the lever down to first and crawled home.
Anyone have the most common things I should check for before towing it to a trans shop?
2005 4x4 5.4 121,000 miles, trans fluid and filter @ 32,000 ago.

OP
OP
65comet

65comet

Reaction score
I haven't started yet but been doing a lot of research since there were no responses. First off, I hooked up my laptop and there were no codes. From what I've been able to gather, it is either a shift solenoid or the main gear pack. I am going to drop the pan. If it is still a nice clear fluid with no metal flakes or shavings/pieces, then it is probably the solenoid. It had a fluid/filter change in the last year so there should be almost no flakes in it. If it is full of metal, then I've been pricing a good guaranteed rebuilt with shipping to my house is around $1,300 with me doing the swap.