2006 Expedition XLT hesitation only when starting to drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oscar Valenzuela

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2006 Expedition XLT and discovered this forum. Was having some hesitation issues all the time a month ago so I replaced the fuel filter thinking that would help, but with some input from previous forums here I was able to see that these cars have issues related to the ignition coils and spark plugs so i had those replaced as well and the car runs much better than before. Now I'm only getting a slight hesitation when starting to drive getting into first gear. It will also make a grinding noise on occassion. Would this be transmission related or something else? I know the basics of cars but haven't had a car make that kind of noise before. Read online somewhere it could be the throttle body? I'm not getting any codes as well. Any input would help, thanks guys!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to pick up a can of Mass air flow sensor cleaner at auto parts store, and very carefully spray out the sensor. Be gentle when you remove air filter tube and replace. Did you replace coils yourself? The boots that attach to coils also wear out, and can cause misfires. Usually when something's amiss with ignition it will throw a code, but not always. If you still have misfire after eliminating vacuum leaks and anything tune related, you may want to have your injection professionally cleaned. Keep us posted with results. As you've found, past posted results help future members. Welcome to the Forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome Oscar. Is your expy 2 or 4 wheel? If 4 and grinding coming from the front could be the 4 wheel actuators, bad solenoid or a vaccum line going to it. As for the hesitation yes the throttle bodies have had some issue, Have you tried cleaning the Throttle body and mass airflow sensor? look on you tube for proper procedure. There is also a software flash/update (from dealer only, and they would have to read the codes) that could be an issue. As for trans its seems with 84k the miles are pretty low, but not sure how it was driven and maintenanced (I have 256k and just had trans rebuilt 10k ago) Now keep in mind a hesitation is different than a slip in the trans.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your hesitation going into first gear is transmission related as well as the grinding noise. Have it checked by a professional.

OP
OP
O

Oscar Valenzuela

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in posting, its been a crazy few weeks at work but I've had time to check all the recommendations given by everyone. Cleaned the throttle body and mass air flow sensor, and no vacuum leaks. Took it to the mechanic i take all my vehicles and he checked over what i looked at and not seeing any issues as well. When he test drove it he believed it was related to the transmission. Recommended a guy i took it to today and said I'd have to get the transmission rebuilt! :( I'm shocked seeing as the car only has 84k miles on it. Just bought a few months ago as well! Still looking around and getting estimates now. Will keep everyone posted on what happens next. Don't know I'm gonna pay for that hah!

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Oscar sorry to hear that does seem interesting to have a trans issue with only that amount of Miles. My 05 had 249k before I had it rebuilt a few months back. Just food for thought you may want to look at a re-engineered trans vs a rebuilt. The re-engineered will have all updates plus new torque converter along with a longer warranty. And considering your trans has an issue at such low miles it may be worth in the long run just getting a different trans as you do not know if it is an endemic issue with that trans that will keep rearing its head. Jasper and Monster trans are good places to start.

Now my cautionary tale I did all my research on rebuilt vs re-engineered and was going re-engineered. Then my father happen to have a trans problem on his car days before I was to purchase my trans. He took his to get rebuilt and I gave him a ride to the trans shop, so of course out of curiosity I spoke to the trans guy, damn if he didn't say all the right things so I went against my plan had him rebuild it and I am kicking myself in the ass for it. Now it runs ok but am chasing a vibration, it bangs hard like loose when getting out of OD and some other things, etc so MY Fault.

With a rebuilt they will still use a lot of old part regardless what they say they will do and you will never know what they did or did not replace, so thats that.