2006 expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred-262002

Reaction score
Hi guys. I been looking thru the form here an I don't see what I'm looking for so I thought I would make a new post on it. About a year ago I tried changing my plus well no such luck on getting them all out. There was one in cylinder 8 that wasn't coming out no matter what. I bought the tool I took it to 2 dealers an 2 shops an no luck so I pulled the head. That was all kind of fun. Well after sitting for almost a year due to not having time or money I finally got it back together. Now that it is running it runs like crap. I'm getting 5 codes. P0349 P0345 P0340 P0022 an P0012. All the codes point to the camshaft sensors. I ran every test I could find to run with little to no luck. The sensors seem fine when tested the oms was 399 that is in normal range. The wires from the PCM to the sensors are fine with no brakes in the wires. I tested the voltage at the sensors an found none. From what I have seen thanks to the web ( an you know they can't put anything on the web that isn't true) I should get either 5 or 12 volts on the pin 2 going to the sensor. So I'm thinking that maybe the PCM is going bad now. The only reason I'm saying it can't be is because everything else is working fine that I can tell. Until now. After getting mad I decided to take a short trip about 30 mins away an see if out for better or worse. Well after it got up to running temp it's now stalling when I stop but will start right back up. It will also make a sound that almost reminds me of a diesel I used to have an now giving me another code. Cylinder 1 miss fire. So I pulled the plug an coil an move it to cylinder 2 an cylinder 2 over into cylinder 1 drove it again. Once again cylinder 1 miss fire. So now I'm lost for words other then HELP!!!!!!! If anyone has come across this or knows anyone that has any as all input would be great. This is driving me nuts. Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming your following the schematics for your year. If the pcm is supplying ref voltage to a sensor then check for the ref voltage at the pin on the pcm connector.

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
I didn't do that but I did test the wire with my digital volt meter an the wire seams fine. An also tested the pin going to the sensor to the ground an it seams fine.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is from the Ford F150 site:
You have a problem in the driver's side camshaft position sensor circuit.

P0345 Ford - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Bank 2

Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Variable Cam Timing (VTC) Solenoid
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

P0349 Ford - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent Bank 2

Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Variable Cam Timing (VTC) Solenoid
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

From OBD-II site:
With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit.
Check for continuity in the circuit wiring Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor.
Replace the camshaft position sensor as required.
Check the crankshaft position circuit as well Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required.
Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

You might want to pull the cam phasers out and check for debris in them and the passages. Other threads I've read have stated that they can seize up since they run on oil pressure. Since yours was down for a year.....

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
What should if any the voltage be at the sensors? I was told 5v or 12v from the pin to the battery. I put my meter on DC an went from either pin to the negative on the battery an there was nothing no volts at all.

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
Well so far everything I have seen an tried all comes back to a bad PCM. A buddy of mine has a laptop that can program an flash the PCM so I might try that tomorrow or Sunday. Maybe it will clear up all the issues I'm having. I don't know why but I bet out don't. Wish me luck

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you getting a reading from the sensors, ac voltage, with engine cranking? Your not going to have ref voltage to the sensor since the sensor creates an analog signal.
If your an old timer that is the sine wave from "Outer Limits" tv show.

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
The engine was running as I was testing it an the digital multimeter was on AC I also tried DC just to see. there is nothing. I'm looking into borrowing a PCM so I can try it before I spend the cash on one just to see if that does it or not. I did get the number one cylinder misfire to stop. I replaced the plug an now it runs a little better but not how it should.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went back and read through your replies & looked at the wiring diagram again. I noticed that the sensor is a hall effect type, which produces a digital signal, not analog like I said earlier. If your dvm measures hertz frequency give that a try on the sensor while cranking.