2007 Expedition, Review and what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chart75

Reaction score
Nickle and Dime time. That age and mileage, will keep you busy, frustrated or your mechanic happy. The 4.6l, is the better of the engines.

Not sure about that. My wife's 07 is sitting at ~198K. We've done the normal tires, brakes, coils, plugs and fluid changes and it's been pretty dependable. We did replace the AC Compressor (spent the 1st 77K miles in Florida) along with the AC/Heat control board, the radiator around 130K (along top heater hose shortly thereafter), had to re-flash the tranny once, did coilovers around 140K and recently (last 2K miles) had to replace the tailgate struts and lift bar. Had to replace one tie rod or track rod last year because the right front tire was wearing unevenly. I did replace the headlight bulbs for brighter ones and one interior door pull (plastic was chipped and sharp enough to cut someone). One of the middle row seats has a split leather seam (most likely from a car seat) but it still rides and looks pretty good. The navigation stopped working a long time ago but the maps were out of date and it's easier to use a phone so we never had that fixed.

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This was a fleet vehicle so anything it needed it got. It’s been well looked after.

I hope it’s got a few good years ahead of it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the other poster suggested, get a full vehicle inspection first. Little stuff you can deal with, but that's high mileage. You don't want to spend 2-5k on repairs, and still have a worn out suv. If you can request the repair records, also make sure the title doesn't have salvage on it, means its been in a major accident. Just because it was a city vehicle doesn't mean squat if you've got a frugal shop foreman stretching out repairs. Seen them do it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The fleet vehicles are usually pretty good, but as Moose said, some don't get treated right. I bought a police Crown Vic once with the original factory oil filter and 100K miles.

Nobody mentioned the exhaust manifolds and converters. Listen for exhaust leaks. Here in the east they sometimes cry out at about 210K. The big pain, as everyone here said is the plugs -- a beast to change especially if it hasn't been done in awhile.

When I was a young guy, I always bought high mileage fleet cars. They gave them away for pennies and I didn't mind the second job of working on them all the time. Now I try to get lower mileage, or newer stuff. My '08 had 80K on it when I bought it last year for $11,000, a police commissioner's upgraded XLT. In a year it's only needed that heater hose, so I've enjoyed adding some nice factory upgrades.

It's "parts or payments," which was so wisely said above... And don't forget the blood, aches and pains that goes along with all those new parts..

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I disagree about the plugs being really difficult to change. I am mechanically inclined, but not with regards to working on vehicles. If you have the proper ratchet extensions, an air compressor, and the Lisle removal tool it's not bad to get the plugs out. I broke 6 out of 8 of mine and got it down to about 15 minutes to replace a broken one.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree about the plugs being really difficult to change. I am mechanically inclined, but not with regards to working on vehicles. If you have the proper ratchet extensions, an air compressor, and the Lisle removal tool it's not bad to get the plugs out. I broke 6 out of 8 of mine and got it down to about 15 minutes to replace a broken one.

Yeah its not that big of a deal as long as you take your time and use your head.... and the right tools.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always found its better to get a low mileage vehicle as well. Trying to fix all the worn out items on a high mileage vehicle just doesn't make sense. Your going to put in more in cost of vehicle, plus repairs/parts, then what do you have a high mileage wonky riding/ running vehicle, with squeaks/ rattles, that's waiting for a motor/ trans/rear end. No, spend a little more up front, its the smart move!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk