2007 Stutter issue question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IndyExpo

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the site, read many a thread and want to throw my personal situation to you all.

I've had the stutter issue in the past with great success with the spark plug, COP fix. After the fix, the wife ran through a rather large puddle, depositing water in the #1 cylinder port causing the same stutter issue. Pulled the COP and dried both the COP and port around the plug, problem fixed.

Now with 20K additional miles and a move cross country (no trailer), the stutter is back. Zero codes have been thrown. I've replaced the plugs (Motorcraft SP515) and COPS (Accel), Cleaned MAFS, replaced MAFS, cleaned throttle body and swore profusely when the results did not change.

Fast forward to today. I dropped it off with a well-respected garage that services private vehicles as well as fleets. He's packed which is a great sign of a good shop. I received a call stating the test drive went well as they could replicate the stutter. They ran it with the scanner attached to read the real time ignition issue should there be any. There was not. He did, however, see the Torque Converter stuttering in and out. Could this still be an electrical symptom not being seen on the scanner?

Long story short, transmission swap for $4750 to fix it.

With the many threads I've read, no one has had success with a trans swap or fluid change to end the stutter/shudder/shake/rubble strips. Can someone give me some solid guidance with their experience on this issue?

I'm at a total loss as to what to do.............Thx

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s seems like an expensive price for a tranny swap. I’m not much of a help when it comes to that issue.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Fort Wayne. Is that a new Ford transmission or is that a rebuilt transmission? If the torque converter is going bad, why replace the entire transmission? How many miles on your truck?

I have to agree with JExpedition07 that seems very expensive without knowing what transmission they are using.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They were probably using a SnapOn scanner and monitoring the torque converter clutch engagement. If the transmission control module was commanding the clutch to engage and it wasn't staying engaged it could be from a worn torque converter clutch or low hydraulic pressure in the system.

Depending on the mileage on the vehicle (transmission) it may be prudent to swap in a reman unit with torque converter and not look back. Should you swap in another unit I suggest replacing the radiator also. It contains a heat exchanger inside one of the tanks that is used to help cool the trans fluid. If that fails you take out your new trans in the process. Had it happen to me right after a rebuild.

Check Monster transmission for prices that you can use for ballpark figures. Ford reman is another alternative. They have great warranty if installed by a pro.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was cleared up by a tranny fluid change. Over time, the fluid simply wears out (specifically the friction modifier) and causes the TC clutch to slip. The controller detects that, and begins to assert/remove the TC lock signal rapidly. Thats what the shudder is.

I argued with "my" mechanic and told him all I wanted was a fluid change...he argued I needed a tranny. I won, and the problem is still solved 3 years later. The tranny had just over 100k on it at the time.

That was on a 2008 Mountaineer Premier.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fluid is very easy to change in the 6R75 whether they do it or you I’d give it a go first. Don’t slap down thousands for what might be solved by a crisp 100 dollar bill.

OP
OP
I

IndyExpo

Reaction score
Thanks all. The quote is for a Ford Reman. The vehicle has 112K. The rub is this Expo is a 2WD in a 4WD world. Being from the west coast, there was no need. I doubt i could get 5-6K in a trade in situation or even on the used market. I think at this point, it may be worth the fluid change and see what happens. If no change, then we take the fork in the road. What's the going rate for a full fluid flush?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your expy is not 4WD that makes that quote ridiculously expensive. Less work to change out on a 2WD system. There is no forward driveline or transfer case to deal with.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be time to consider a trade-in on a newer vehicle or an outright sale and a newer or new vehicle. I was in a similar boat with my 05. It needed cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners, and guides, plus it had a lot of rust on the rocker panels and radiator supports.

dmm5157

Reaction score
Mine was cleared up by a tranny fluid change. Over time, the fluid simply wears out (specifically the friction modifier) and causes the TC clutch to slip. The controller detects that, and begins to assert/remove the TC lock signal rapidly. Thats what the shudder is.

I argued with "my" mechanic and told him all I wanted was a fluid change...he argued I needed a tranny. I won, and the problem is still solved 3 years later. The tranny had just over 100k on it at the time.

That was on a 2008 Mountaineer Premier.

I second this. Try the transmission fluid swap (simple drain and replace, not a flush). That did the trick for me. Swapped out fluid in mine about 18 months ago when I was having problems, haven't had a single issue since. No more stuttering, truck still drives smooth as silk now about 17,000 miles later. My truck is a 2007 2WD and had about 145,000 miles on it when the stuttering was happening. Actually was like that when I bought the truck but it took me a while to figure out the fix was the fluid.

If tranny fluid doesn't do the trick, then go the other routes mentioned above.