2008 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p38fln

Reaction score
image.jpg
Not really sure what I was thinking at the time, but I now have this black 2008 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x4

I think it was previously owned by a drug dealer, minor damage to the right rear looks like where the cops would have hit it in a PIT maneuver and there are coffee grounds or tobacco leaves all over everything inside and the case for a portable scale is under the middle row, along with a couple of giant gold hoop ear rings (someone with more experience in that lifestyle tells me that it’s most likely weed mixed with tobacco leaves for rolling blunts so I’ll be cleaning it thoroughly)

Drives great, but just about everything electronic is broken except the DVD player.

It’s got that god awful 5.4 with the multi piece spark plugs, but I figure an expedition with over 260,000 miles has to have had them replaced by now.

Problems:
All steering wheel controls are dead except the turn signal stalk (no horn, cruise, backlighting, volume, etc). I already checked the horn fuse, is there a horn relay hidden away somewhere? That was the problem on my old F350, horn relay wasn’t grounded properly and made it look like the clock spring was bad.

I think the left front caliper is sticking, it pulls to the left when the brakes are applied and it won’t roll freely until it gets some gas

Display in the 6 disk CD player is dead (extremely well known issue in Fords of this era), can’t replace with aftermarket because it has a factory rear seat DVD player that still works perfectly, although this one has cracks that look like someone punched it.

TPMS is broken

Passenger side seatbelt needs a “technique” to fasten it

Obviously the airbag light is on (broken clock spring)

Like every Ford SUV ever made, the rocker panels are rotted out where the sunroof drains go into the rocker panels. You’d think Ford would figure out that the drain hose could just drain onto the ground but for some reason they want to rot out the rocker panels.

Oh yeah and it’s absolutely filthy inside. Some auto detailer will probably wind up using it for before and after pictures.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck!

Btw, the 5.4 motor is a very solid motor, not sure what you mean by it being "God awful". I've owened two differenty Expys with that motor and it's been nothing but rock solid for me.

OP
OP
P

p38fln

Reaction score
Good luck!

Btw, the 5.4 motor is a very solid motor, not sure what you mean by it being "God awful". I've owened two differenty Expys with that motor and it's been nothing but rock solid for me.
It’s the 5.4 from the era where a simple spark plug job can be over $8000 because they used those silly multi piece spark plugs with only 4 or 5 threads. October 2008 they switched to traditional plugs.

This is my 3rd 5.4 and they’ve all been reliable as can be but the first one with the bad plug design, so I’m hoping that they were replaced with the updated design at some point in its past.

OP
OP
P

p38fln

Reaction score
Got rid of this horrible piece of junk :) It started misfiring like crazy and I don't know any priests that are willing to help change the spark plugs.
Replaced it with a 2007 in much better condition. Mostly.