2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree the Tahoe RST is crazy fast, I mean a full size SUV coming in at 5.7 Seconds 0-60! Something to admire. GM has a great motor in that 6.2L, all while getting better MPGs than a 6 cylinder.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
all while getting better MPGs than a 6 cylinder.

Yet, wrong again, if we of course use the sacred OEM numbers.

Tahoe RST 14/22
Expedition Platinum 17/23

Don’t get me wrong. RST is again a beast. I personally like the ride of the independent rear in the Expy, and the added rear floor space it allows.

Lost the discussion talking about Ford V8’s, so you brought the Chevy in. Smoke and Mirrors.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet, wrong again, if we of course use the sacred OEM numbers.

Tahoe RST 14/22
Expedition Platinum 17/23

Don’t get me wrong. RST is again a beast. I personally like the ride of the independent rear in the Expy, and the added rear floor space it allows.

Lost the discussion talking about Ford V8’s, so you brought the Chevy in. Smoke and Mirrors.
There is no losing lol. I was not aware you could “lose” a discussion. Simply pointing out great V8 motors of today, smelling the roses if you will. I never had to leave ford here.... the 6.2L and 6.7L are top dog in the market.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Boy! What conflict! I didn't to insult or fuel a ******* match. I just like the durability, quiet and smoothness of a V-8. To me that far trumps the modest mileage and power gains.

Strictly opinion, guys.

Doesn't mean my V-8 won't blow a head gasket at 90K, but it will never ever suck in a turbo impeller.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2012 Limited with the V8 and now have a 2017 with the Ecoboost V6. I find the Ecoboost has better gas mileage and better pickup. I just returned from a trip to Missouri and the Ecoboost performed excellent. No problems in the mountains and and interstate speeds.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But it's certainly more noisy, more harsh and nowhere as smooth has the v-8. It also revs significantly higher. But it's certainly up to the task, cruising at 85 and 90 for hours with power to spare. I averaged 15 mpg on my trip, probably not much better if at all than my V-8.

Former Democrats' administrations have forced fuel consumption to be the issue that receives design priority. Unless it's your priority too, by all means choose the V-8. It's a much better all around performer and most likely a longer life engine.

As a side note, the Alamo rental was plagued with small issues. The electronic dash instruments were a mess, with ABS, BRAKE and Traction Control lights coming on with every pothole. Each time one lit, screen warnings popped up like Christmas trees with a cacophony of dings and gongs and beeps.

The push button start was convenient and cool but needless nonsense waiting to break.

I'm happy with my 2008. I think with all things considered, for me it's a better selection of components. As far as the V-6 goes, I would prefer not to buy one. I view it simply as unnecessary complexity required for an inferior product.

Just one more foolish mandate from a misguided overreaching government and the sheep who follow blindly.

Boy! What conflict! I didn't to insult or fuel a ******* match. I just like the durability, quiet and smoothness of a V-8. To me that far trumps the modest mileage and power gains.

Your first post is riddled with nothing but negativity about the ecoboost and you say you didn't post all this dribble to start a conflict!!! That's exactly what you intended to do. Its obvious you got a damaged truck if its noisier, more harsh and not as smooth as a V8. The exact opposite has been reported by almost anyone who owns or has test driven the V6. The reports are always how quiet it is and how much of a better ride it is etc etc. You say all the lights on the dash start blinking every time you hit a pot hole and yet you make it sound like that's just business a usual for the newer trucks. I assure you its not and I assure you not one other owner of a 15-17 model on this forum has experienced anything like that. The push button is just waiting to break, seriously!!!!! Regular turn key ignitions break all the time.

You didn't try to insult anybody yet you end your post by calling us all sheep. You can take your sheep comment and stick it where the sun don't shine. Its clear your another old geezer stuck in his ways unable to accept innovation.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no losing lol. I was not aware you could “lose” a discussion. Simply pointing out great V8 motors of today, smelling the roses if you will. I never had to leave ford here.... the 6.2L and 6.7L are top dog in the market.

This isn't a discussion, you turned it into a debate and yes you can and have lost the debate