2015 Select Shift Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fords 6 Speed Trans have had this feature for years. My 250 did the exact same thing, and was great when pulling a load. Ford has historically called it "grade assist".

Our 15 passenger Church bus that I drive regularly, based on an E-350 Chassis, does it also. Even without selecting a gear if you press and hold the brake going downhill without any gas pedal application the TCM/ECM learns what you are trying to do and will use all of the Engine/Trans braking at its disposal to not exceed the speed you braked down to. Touch the gas, and it will stop doing it.

I can repeat it at will and love it.

Not sure if the 10 Speed does this also in the new applications. I would hope so.

Looks like we are getting to the issue...It is a definite "surging" action. I will try the brake/hold to see if that activates the mechanism, thanks! Interesting that this "feature" does not seem to have a name and the manufacturer is not into promotion?..If anyone has a link to more info, please do let me know...Again, thanks!

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I will try the "hold the brake" and "touch the gas" to see if this system responds in kind, thanks!...Mysterious that Ford doesn't appear to have a name for this feature (not enough acronyms in the world), and doesn't advertise it, as most everything else...If anyone has a link to more info, I would appreciate knowing that...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will try the "hold the brake" and "touch the gas" to see if this system responds in kind, thanks!...Mysterious that Ford doesn't appear to have a name for this feature (not enough acronyms in the world), and doesn't advertise it, as most everything else...If anyone has a link to more info, I would appreciate knowing that...

Wenatchee? Really? My cousins are from there, my aunt still lives there. Have never visited, but would love to.

No link , just personal experience with the feature since late 2005, when I purchased my 2006 F250, and put it to work. Sold it last Summer.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wenatchee? Really? My cousins are from there, my aunt still lives there. Have never visited, but would love to.

No link , just personal experience with the feature since late 2005, when I purchased my 2006 F250, and put it to work. Sold it last Summer.
This area is outstanding as to natural wonders...Thanks for input...

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been driving from Texas through northern Arizona to Southern California and now up to Oregon. So I've been experimenting with the grade assist. It works of course in cruise control mode very well actually. But I also noticed if I have the "tow mode" engaged, even when I'm not using cruise control, the truck will downshift and provide just the right amount of engine braking when descending. I love it! Doesn't do it when it normal mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a few vehicles with grade assist (not hill control decent in this case) and they have always been hit-or-miss in operation. Most of the time you're supposed to just tap the brake pedal to operate it but I never trusted it as it was never consistent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been driving from Texas through northern Arizona to Southern California and now up to Oregon. So I've been experimenting with the grade assist. It works of course in cruise control mode very well actually. But I also noticed if I have the "tow mode" engaged, even when I'm not using cruise control, the truck will downshift and provide just the right amount of engine braking when descending. I love it! Doesn't do it when it normal mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have been testing "tow/haul" out also..."Grade assist" works really well on my 10-15% grade, 10 mile descents into town. I am going to bring up the "current fuel consumption gauge" today, to see what the effect is on fuel mileage. The only issue is that to maintain 45-50 MPH speed, the transmission stays in 2nd and RPMs hang at about 4,500...But, if it saves on brake lining...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been testing "tow/haul" out also..."Grade assist" works really well on my 10-15% grade, 10 mile descents into town. I am going to bring up the "current fuel consumption gauge" today, to see what the effect is on fuel mileage. The only issue is that to maintain 45-50 MPH speed, the transmission stays in 2nd and RPMs hang at about 4,500...But, if it saves on brake lining...

Fuel Consumption is ~0 when gravity is spinning the motor. Most modern engines are that way.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel Consumption is ~0 when gravity is spinning the motor. Most modern engines are that way.

An update...As noted, the "Grade Assist" works really well in "Tow/Haul". I just need very slight braking on the really steep grades to maintain 45 MPH...And the outstanding part is that I now have a 6,000 LB near Prius because the fuel mileage registered an even 30 MPG at the end of the 10 mile down grade,...Al Gore would be so proud of me?...

So, regarding how this is done...Does the ECM work with the TCM, shutting off all fuel, to maintain speed totally through engine braking, effectively turning the 3.5L into an air pump? Or is there more?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd love to know the answer to your question too. I registered 35mpg on one of the long descents out of Salt River Canyon in AZ. I am thoroughly impressed with how well the grade descent control works when in tow/haul mode (and in cruise control mode too for that matter) it was a pleasant surprise when I realized what the truck was doing. I am really starting to appreciate my trucks $65,000 price tag. There is some specific tech in my 2015 EL that I'm learning to love and appreciate and I must give some due kudos to the engineering team at Ford:

1. Hill grade assist/descent control does work well and I absolutely love that it attempts to maintain my set cruise control speed on a descent. I a very impressed with how well it works in tow/haul mode and I've already used this feature a lot in my recent mountain pass crossings saving my brakes/rotors, and just making the descents more pleasant by virtually eliminating the "brake on" "brake release" cycle I'd normally engage in while descending a long mountain pass.

2. 4x4 modes. Having complete control over the transfer case is an absolutely joy. My previous "full time AWD" trucks had 4wd hi and Low via a manual transfer case lever. But two wheel drive was not an option unless you physically got under the truck and removed the front driveshaft (propshaft). Several of us did just that on our Land Cruisers during the summer to save fuel, and enhance the driving experience of our trucks. We all wished we had a "2wd" mode. Here, the EL has 2wd, Awd, 4wd hi and 4wd lo modes. All at the twist of a knob. Amazing. Add to that I can actually put the transfer case in true neutral to flat tow it behind my tour bus and I'm in transfer case heaven.

3. Simple things like a separately opening glass hatch in the rear, folding side mirrors, power folding running boards, and heated rear seats....all that stuff was actually on a short list of "wants" for my next SUV. And my EL happened to have all that stuff. So far, I'm well on my way to becoming a Ford fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire