2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the downgrade applies to only 3.4 19274 was a bit confusing for my poor old brain. Thanks for clarifying this.

Correct, 3.4 19274 or newer...and only if you want to install Maps.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Maps are the only reason I upgraded although the ability to use the navigation system while the truck is moving is reason enough.

The downgrade + upgrade cycle is painless although it takes longer than just a simple upgrade I needed to downgrade and started that working out in the driveway with the engine idling (hood up, it was 95° or so) while I downloaded the upgrade on the PC onto a separate USB stick. Once the downgrade completed (45 minutes?) I went down cycled the ignition Off/On to insure a reboot of the system and installed the latest version (hood up again). Easy peasy -- but let both reloads complete, it takes what seems a long time.

Regardless of needing to downgrade I recommend NOT watching it as some have been fooled that the process is done before it is.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maps are the only reason I upgraded although the ability to use the navigation system while the truck is moving is reason enough.

The downgrade + upgrade cycle is painless although it takes longer than just a simple upgrade I needed to downgrade and started that working out in the driveway with the engine idling (hood up, it was 95° or so) while I downloaded the upgrade on the PC onto a separate USB stick. Once the downgrade completed (45 minutes?) I went down cycled the ignition Off/On to insure a reboot of the system and installed the latest version (hood up again). Easy peasy -- but let both reloads complete, it takes what seems a long time.

Regardless of needing to downgrade I recommend NOT watching it as some have been fooled that the process is done before it is.

-- Chuck

Clarity, a quick cycle of the ignition does not reboot Sync. It is live for up to 30 minutes after the ignition is turned off. The only way to insure a reboot is to use the power button/next track hold to force a reboot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

verna2197

Reaction score
I am so confused. Upgraded my sync, read that it included waze, now been reading on here you still have to plug your phone in? Then what is the upgrade for?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am so confused. Upgraded my sync, read that it included waze, now been reading on here you still have to plug your phone in? Then what is the upgrade for?

Ford added Waze support in Applink, but yes it requires a hardwire connection to work. It allows you to use Waze within Sync 3 without using CarPlay or Android Auto.

Other Applink apps work over BT in 3.4 like Pandora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Snidley53

Reaction score
Completed the upgrade yesterday afternoon and it went super smooth. Looking forward to our next trip and using the new map files. Thanks for all of the help Chuck S and Loki.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just completed the upgrade, as well. I haven't tested everything, but the ForScan Bambi mode is still in my system (along with British spelling of "Favourites"). I will check NiM and text displays later today.

lotzeolli

Reaction score
Even it is an old thread, I hope to find some help:

I have a 2016 Expedition and upgraded the Software to 3.0 via VIN by ford homepage.
The only reason to do so, I want apple carplay.
Do I have to update hardware AND software to get carplay?
What hardware is needed. When I search for the HC3Z-19A387-B hub, I only find the -F version.
I just moved in to the USA from Germany and have some language barriers to understand it all. I‘m for sure not the most techi person neither in hard nor software.
Is there any plug&play version to use?

The reason for me using carplay is simple: I love it and the navigation language is German.

Thanks!