2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lotzeolli

Reaction score
Thanks for welcoming me.

Well I thought searching and reading threads is best to not have a forum overflow with the same/similar topic again and again.
I still think this thread fits best to my question as a software update to 3.4 seems to be necessary to enable apple carplay plus the change to the correct USB hub.
I keep on reading here and will consider a new thread if I don‘t get an answer on my questions which are:

Is there a plug&play software upgrade for a non technical person like me?

Which is the correct USB hub enabling apple carplay in my 2016 Expedition?

Thanks

Last edited:

tacoduck

Reaction score
Can I just buy a usb drive with the program pre loaded? My 2016 has sync 3, version 1. I’ve tried downloading before and ran into issues with the usb. I got it to update by connecting to my wifi. This truck (2016) won’t connect to my wifi.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can I just buy a usb drive with the program pre loaded? My 2016 has sync 3, version 1. I’ve tried downloading before and ran into issues with the usb. I got it to update by connecting to my wifi. This truck (2016) won’t connect to my wifi.
I doubt it because it's Ford's software. Collecting money for it is a no-no. Having said that, I've used the CyanLabs updater with success on both of my 2017 Fords. It takes a long time for the update to complete, but I've been able to complete multiple updates using the automated process with the CyanLabs installer.

lotzeolli

Reaction score
Check the Cyanlab homepage and follow the steps as described. There is even a youtube video linked which explains step by step how to create your individual usb drive.
I watched it several times and just successfully updated my 2016 last Friday. It is not too difficult and it was pretty comfortable through the entire process.
Believe me - I‘m not a technical or computer skill capable person at all!

The hardest part in my case - exchanging the usb hub to enable apple car play.
I removed the 12V socket first to have more room and then it worked fine.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Downloaded the Cyanlabs tool
Need to get my wife to send me the current version, so I can get the newest & best from Cyan. Hope to get the update done this week.
Anyone have an estimate how long the update takes to go from 3.0 to 3.4? Or if that's advisable to make that big of a jump? According to the Ford owner site, I'm on 3.0.17276

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct, 3.4 19274 or newer...and only if you want to install Maps.
This post is 2 years old.
The Cyan tool shows 3.4.22200 as the latest version. Should I go with that, or one in between 19274 & 22200?
No user notes (just TBC) on 22200, version 22110 shows some notes.

Maps, version 2.21?

Edit: Also just saw that this thread is in the 3G section, I assume it's still the same for a 2018(4G)?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This post is 2 years old.
The Cyan tool shows 3.4.22200 as the latest version. Should I go with that, or one in between 19274 & 22200?
No user notes (just TBC) on 22200, version 22110 shows some notes.

Maps, version 2.21?

Edit: Also just saw that this thread is in the 3G section, I assume it's still the same for a 2018(4G)?
Yes, this thread has had a life of it's own. Yes your 2018 has the exact same APIM found in a 2017. Some of the 2020+ start to have different concerns, but you should be good.

I know there were some people recently that had issue when they took their 16/17 to the most recent version that the rear HVAC lock settings were reversed on the screen vs the button, but it was working.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Hoping to get that done this week. Forgot the flash drive at the office & am working from home today.

Curious, how long should I expect the update to take, going from 3.0.*** to 3.4.222?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, Hoping to get that done this week. Forgot the flash drive at the office & am working from home today.

Curious, how long should I expect the update to take, going from 3.0.*** to 3.4.222?
Hour+ is my best guess. Be patient, and follow the instructions from CyanLabs. Leave the vehicle running or go for a drive.