2016 85k miles, transmission went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 6R80 goes nuts after a dead battery. Was there a battery problem recently?

Who told you that?

I have a battery disconnect switch on mine that I routinely use when I drive my other vehicle to work and the Expy is not driven for a week or two.

The battery gets 100% disconnected regularly, to prevent parasitic drains. Zero problems thus far... I reconnect the negative cable when I'm ready to drive the Expy, start her up and it drives / shifts just fine.

As for 6R80 reliability, the general consensus is that they should last at least 200,000 miles with no abuse. Even my ex-cop car SSV with 132,000 miles on the clock and no fluid / filter change (until I did it this summer) is running just fine with zero issues... and I assume it already had a pretty hard life.

The great thing about having an F-150 truck (or F150-based Expedition) is that these parts are plentiful in junk yards, for cheap. They are also quite easy to work on if you're gonna swap it out yourself or get it done, compared to some other mechanical nightmares out there!

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who told you that?

I have a battery disconnect switch on mine that I routinely use when I drive my other vehicle to work and the Expy is not driven for a week or two.

The battery gets 100% disconnected regularly, to prevent parasitic drains. Zero problems thus far... I reconnect the negative cable when I'm ready to drive the Expy, start her up and it drives / shifts just fine.

As for 6R80 reliability, the general consensus is that they should last at least 200,000 miles with no abuse. Even my ex-cop car SSV with 132,000 miles on the clock and no fluid / filter change (until I did it this summer) is running just fine with zero issues... and I assume it already had a pretty hard life.

The great thing about having an F-150 truck (or F150-based Expedition) is that these parts are plentiful in junk yards, for cheap. They are also quite easy to work on if you're gonna swap it out yourself or get it done, compared to some other mechanical nightmares out there!

That's what I've been saying but people act like you have to go to a transmission shop or dealer or garage and let them decide how to fix it.

Swap it out or pay a friend to swap it out...or beer and pizza. I prefer steak dinner or sports bar/chicken wings taking everyone out once it is done.

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
calling BS on the input shaft. a bad throttlebody will produce the symptoms you described. because the TB is a major part of when the transmission decides to shift, and the computer may just stop shifting all together if it detects input which is grossly out of range. your mechanic is a scam artist, no doubt. a TB replacement should cost no more than 350$ and thats including parts and labor.

also, people here, please stop recommending jasper, and especially LKQ
there are far better reman options out there. "powersource'" is one of them

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I've been saying but people act like you have to go to a transmission shop or dealer or garage and let them decide how to fix it.

Swap it out or pay a friend to swap it out...or beer and pizza. I prefer steak dinner or sports bar/chicken wings taking everyone out once it is done.

Honestly, we think alike and I wish you were my neighbor... lol! I swear I'm the only guy on my street with tools in his garage.

The hipster culture is slowly but surely killing any male traits in suburban men these days. If it can't be "fixed" using an iPhone, they need someone else to do the job for them. Pathetic and sad, but true.

1ff.jpg

Maximo B Guadiano

Reaction score
That sucks. It would probably be my last Ford if the trans died at 85K and I had no warranty.
Mechanical failures can happen to any make and model vehicles. You may consider next time to think about an extended warranty. Just saying, but I wish you well on your currently vehicle. I myself have been purchasing ford vehicles since 1988, and the worst that has happened has been a clog catalytic converter that went bad.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, we think alike and I wish you were my neighbor... lol! I swear I'm the only guy on my street with tools in his garage.

The hipster culture is slowly but surely killing any male traits in suburban men these days. If it can't be "fixed" using an iPhone, they need someone else to do the job for them. Pathetic and sad, but true.

I have a neighbor, a really nice guy, who has had his ass kicked by a power washer (brand new, gas-powered, couldn't get to start), and thinks I'm an idiot when I tell him (for 3 winters now), that heat pumps aren't supposed to turn into blocks of ice (his is not performing the periodic defrost cycle and ices over...sometimes for weeks at a time).

He was completely disoriented as he watched me replace the sway-bar end links on my wife's Mounty....I thought he was going to pass out when I broke out the hacksaw to cut off the old one.

I think his peak mechanical ability is achieved when he turns the deadbolt on his front door.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mechanical failures can happen to any make and model vehicles. You may consider next time to think about an extended warranty. Just saying, but I wish you well on your currently vehicle. I myself have been purchasing ford vehicles since 1988, and the worst that has happened has been a clog catalytic converter that went bad.

I'm not the OP. I had an extended warranty on my truck, but it's besides the point. Intellectually, we all know that a major failure can befall even the most reliable model with the most meticulous care early on. When that failure happens to be your car though, you're going to remember it when it comes time to buy your next vehicle. In my case, every vehicle I've had for the last couple decades has gone 200K+ with no major issues, so a tranny replacement/rebuild at 85K would really stick in my mind.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone in my close family has a 05 Toyota Highlander, they bought it used with about 60,000 miles and now the SUV has about 90,000 miles on it right now. It was always well-maintained.

It went through all brake calipers (due to various issues), leaky transfer case, a twisted driveshaft ($1200 part), timing tensioner that leaked, leaky water pump and three batteries so far due to a parasitic drain. The undercarriage is also rusting quite bad, despite having been rustproofed every year (Asian steel sucks!).

So yeah, those who believe in fairy tales that "Toyotas never break" are the same folks who claim they'll never buy another Ford because x-part broke. Even with quality vehicles, luck is hit & miss sometimes. It sucks and I definitely know the feeling, as I've been there more than once.

When you see failures across the board (such as nearly all Chrysler products and late GM models), that's when you need to worry... This is exactly why my 5.4L 3-valve Triton has me concerned for its' longevity, which is why a timing kit, high volume oil pump and new rocker arms are going in next summer. I'm already feeding it 5W30 synthetic and a treatment of Motorkote to improve lubricity in the meantime. The rest of the truck *should be* rock solid for the next 15 years, though.

(fingers crossed!)

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a neighbor, a really nice guy, who has had his ass kicked by a power washer (brand new, gas-powered, couldn't get to start), and thinks I'm an idiot when I tell him (for 3 winters now), that heat pumps aren't supposed to turn into blocks of ice (his is not performing the periodic defrost cycle and ices over...sometimes for weeks at a time).

He was completely disoriented as he watched me replace the sway-bar end links on my wife's Mounty....I thought he was going to pass out when I broke out the hacksaw to cut off the old one.

I think his peak mechanical ability is achieved when he turns the deadbolt on his front door.

:wtf:

Your neighbor sounds like he will be used as livestock by survivalists, should an apocalyptic event ever hit our world and the Wi-Fi goes down permanently, lol!

Some folks are so useless, it boggles the mind...

Last edited:
OP
OP

5x10

Reaction score
calling BS on the input shaft. a bad throttlebody will produce the symptoms you described. because the TB is a major part of when the transmission decides to shift, and the computer may just stop shifting all together if it detects input which is grossly out of range. your mechanic is a scam artist, no doubt. a TB replacement should cost no more than 350$ and thats including parts and labor.

also, people here, please stop recommending jasper, and especially LKQ
there are far better reman options out there. "powersource'" is one of them
You don’t think the throttle body would throw codes?

‘there was no check engine light on