2017 Exp - power running board only retracts when engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob L

Reaction score
My drivers side running board will extend but when i shut the door, it tries to retract but wont. I've soaked the hinges with PB blaster, then cleaned with WD-40, then coated with white lithium grease and has made no difference. The weird thing is, they will fully retract when the engine is running.

The passenger side works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably getting just a little more voltage when engine is running. Try to put your foot under the running board and help it raise. Cycle it a few times and see if gets better.
Check for anything trapped in the linkage and look over the electrical connector on the motor at the front of the running board.

OP
OP
Rob L

Rob L

Reaction score
yes I can put my foot under and give it the slightest nudge and it will go up. I'll check the connector and maybe put some dielectric grease in it.

OP
OP
Rob L

Rob L

Reaction score
Update: The running board is slowing starting to work on its own. It must really be gummed up in those hinges. I'll keep blasting it with the PB Blaster!

OneTonWonton

Reaction score
Subscribed. I've gotta do the ol' foot boost on the running boards for Princess too. They'll eventually retract when I'm driving, but rarely when parked.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since power retractable running boards are one of my favorite features, I would never replace them with fixed boards. I would only replace with the same ones I have.
Penetro 90 is always worth a try and usually fixes the running board issue.
My friend's boards were almost dead, made a lot of noise and hardly ever worked. We cleaned them really good, by spraying Totally Awesome straight concentrate all over them, then high pressure cleaned, let dry, saturated them with Penetro 90 and kept opening and shutting doors until they got good penetration, greased them up and they work like new. Most of the time the bearings are not bad, unless it is a much older vehicle, never cleaned or constantly used in mud, salt, etc. conditions. I've been fortunate as I take my Expedition to a car wash that does under carriage as well. So, my boards and hinges are very clean. I also clean and grease the hinges every couple of months.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine work great on both the 2011 and 2017, but based on what you guys are saying, I think I better start lubing them. Since PB Blaster and WD 40 are more of release agents than lubricants (although they both have some lubricity), what do you think is the best lubricant to use to prevent problems?

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine started doing the same thing (08 model), I suspect the drivers side gets far more use than the passenger side. I tried foot assistance for a while, but in the end I decide the brushes in the electric motor must be worn as they would not close reliably. Got a new motor of eBay for $60, changed it out and the step has worked perfectly ever since.. I suspect your electric motor might just be getting tired (rather than all the hinges being gummed up)..

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine work great on both the 2011 and 2017, but based on what you guys are saying, I think I better start lubing them. Since PB Blaster and WD 40 are more of release agents than lubricants (although they both have some lubricity), what do you think is the best lubricant to use to prevent problems?