2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17 is dry as well. I also have two chevys 2003 and 2005 with sunroofs without issues. Well the 03 switch went out around 2012 but no leaks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

an7mal

Reaction score
My wife's 2007 Expy sunroof has problems especially when it's winter. Found that the rear sunroof drain hoses run into the rockers (just behind the back doors). The rockers are pretty much completely rotted out, enabling you to clearly see the problem: sunroof drain hoses run all the way to the bottom of the rockers and any dirt/buildup coupled with freezing temperatures plug the tubes. If you have massive holes in your rockers like mine, you can pull the tube forward and snip the end at an angle so it no longer runs into the bottom of the rocker. Pic is looking through the hole in the rusty rocker back at the drain tube (after cleaning out much of the drit in the rocker and snipping the drain tube end off). Front ones run into boxed body member and aren't accesible. Running string trimmer line down them helps as does pouring warm water to flush them out.

Once they plug, if it rains, then she gets lots of water on the inside. Problems described in the original post sound more like kinked or disconnected sunroof drain lines. Good luck!

Ed sunroof drains.jpg

M_Collins

Reaction score
So my 2017 that I bought in mid 2017 is doing this too. Dumping from the rear roof vents and soaking the rear carpet from somewhere else too.

Did you ever get a solid solution from ford?

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The carpet gets wet just behind the rear passenger doors. Water follows the path of least resistance and follows the headliner and travels down the C pillar. You may also notice that the seat belt there is also damp. You may also see rust in the well closest to the C pillar where the foot from the middle seat connects to the floor...b336220237657a4ccb6343d49bd3fe8f.jpge62c850d9090a32f8ec6ddf1f7f126c8.jpg6a9b12c63d9cc68fb3965a0a7ea63645.jpg4b9fa751af14f6c412b13fd9e88f12e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2016 was leaking on the front passenger floor board, but only sometimes. I followed this video back in the summer and it has not leaked since.

This is by far the best video I have seen on this issue.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition is ten years old now and still dry as a bone every rain storm... carpet still feels and looks brand new and has never been wet like that. i don’t know why some of the new ones are having problems. No way water got in the HVAC runs in the headliner..... kind of calling BS there. That headliner would be totally crinkling up and falling apart and soaked by that time if it got that wet. The water shown in picture 3 is fine, it is not in the cab and just sitting on the well.
That's nice that yours is all dry and perfect :emotions36:

Samuel Street

Reaction score
I have the same issue with water standing in the rear seat lock wells on the drivers side. I just found this today after driving in a downpour yesterday. It is on the drivers side mostly, but I have evidence of water stains in the lock wells on the passenger side as well. It is still under warranty by a couple months and 4000 miles.