2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toronado13

Reaction score
I just posted in another old thread... wish I would have found this one first!

I have a leak inside the rear passenger seat belt. I assume it's b/c of a clog in the drain in my sunroof after reading this and other threads...

I've tried to run some trimmer line through the drains, but I don't think I can get to the drain hole in the rear part of the sunroof... without maybe taking it apart? Just looking for some advice from someone who had the same issue... what's the best attach plan? Do I need to fully rip this thing apart or what?

It's a 2017 Limited fyi.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just posted in another old thread... wish I would have found this one first!

I have a leak inside the rear passenger seat belt. I assume it's b/c of a clog in the drain in my sunroof after reading this and other threads...

I've tried to run some trimmer line through the drains, but I don't think I can get to the drain hole in the rear part of the sunroof... without maybe taking it apart? Just looking for some advice from someone who had the same issue... what's the best attach plan? Do I need to fully rip this thing apart or what?

It's a 2017 Limited fyi.

Sorry can't help with this, but I knew back in the early '80s sun roofs, moon roofs and T tops are crap. Unless you like leaks and problems.

Margaret R

Reaction score
I have a 2017 expedition limited and am now having the same issue:
"For me, it was most apparent when I put my fingers underneath the carpeting around those wells where you access the third row. The carpeting it self felt dry at times, but either there were puddles in those wells, or you could feel the water in the padding under the carpeting."
Just wondering if you ever found where the water was coming in since I am having the exact same issue.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking for others who may have experienced the same...

I bought a brand new 2017 Expedition Limited back on March 28, 2017. After only driving it for three days we noticed the carpeting was soaked after driving through a rainstorm. We immediately brought it back to the dealer who found a leak by the driver side rear wheel well where the vehicle had never been welded when it was built. It spent the better part of the next month in the shop being repaired and supposedly dried out. When we did finally get it back, the carpeting was so wet that it was beginning to mold and there was corrosion on the metal surfaces on the interior of the truck. Also, it smelled like a middle school boys gym locker room. On May 4, the vehicle was swapped out under what we thought was the lemon law and replaced with an identical 2017 expedition. It turns out, our dealer handled it as if we were trading in one vehicle and purchasing another. That’s a different conversation for a different day.

About a month and a half into ownership of the second 2017, we came across our first rain storm. To our surprise, the second expedition also leaked water when it rained. Our dealership eventually discovered a leak around the moonroof (not plugged drains) and another leak by the driver side third row window. There was a steady stream of water that came in all the way around the moonroof and another one by that window in the back where there was a wave in the sheet metal. We got it back after it sat at the dealership for over a month and a half having repairs done to it. A couple weeks after we took possession back, it rained again and we realized the leaks were not completely repaired. We returned to the dealership but they refused to even look at it because they said they took it through their car wash and were not able to replicate the problem. I showed them video of the water leaking in as it rained and was able to corroborate this with puddles of water in the wells where the second row latches to the floor to access the third row. After fighting with them for several weeks I found another dealership that was willing to look at it for me. They verified that there were still significant leaks and accepted the vehicle for service. They had it for a few weeks and returned it to me but kept the service ticket open so we could make sure the repair was actually correct this time. It rained that very weekend and we found that the leaks were still there. After the dealer verified with ford that they should be attempting repair again we returned it. Ford put me into a 2017 expedition that they rented from enterprise. In the meantime, I asked ford to evaluate the truck for repurchase.

As luck would have it, it rained while I was driving the rental. To my extreme surprise, this one had a leak too! As I pulled out of my driveway one day my kids screamed at me to stop the truck. I looked back in time to see water pouring in from the a/c vents in the ceiling.

Fast forward to today, I am waiting on paperwork from the reacquired vehicles program. I need to know though, has anyone else had this problem? I’m convinced this is not an isolated incident seeing as I have had three of them with a significant leak. I’m sure there are more of them out there but maybe people don’t know it. If you’re driving one of these 2017 expeditions around, be sure to feel around your carpeting after going through rain. For me, it was most apparent when I put my fingers underneath the carpeting around those wells where you access the third row. The carpeting it self felt dry at times, but either there were puddles in those wells, or you could feel the water in the padding under the carpeting.

I would love to be in contact with you if you had similar experience...

View attachment 22626

View attachment 22627

View attachment 22628

I just bought my 2017 EXPY EL XLT, I didn't have mine a week before we took it back to the dealer for them to fix issues with it from the prior dealer who they had bought out so I haven't had mine long enough to know but I will definitely let you know if mine leaks as well.

Martin Rester

Reaction score
March 2020 I purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Expedition EL Limited with sun/moon roof. About 6 weeks after purchase I noticed a severe water leak that appeared to be from the sun roof. The headliner was soaked so when I ran my hand across it the water poured down. The rear seat carpet was soaked with puddles in the 2nd row seat latch area. Returned to dealer. 1st response was they could find nothing wrong and tried to blame it on me not completely closing the sun roof. Occurred again on the next rain. Took it back in (2nd time) I had photos and videos of the water leak. The dealer did an extensive review and said they found the sun roof does not close all the way every time, about 1 in 5 to 10 time is did not close they said. They had it for about two weeks adjusted the mechanism, replace seals, cleaned out drains, de humidified interior, ETC. When i got it back I felt confident it was repaired. This was in May 2020. All seemed good at this time.

Monday, March 1st 2021 got in vehicle to go to the Dr. and again serious water leak, water pouring from the middle row ceiling vents. wiped my hand across the headliner and water just poured from the headliner. Now keep in mind this appeared to be be fine for several months. I live in East Texas (Tyler area) and we just had the sever snow storm and had 6+ inches of snow and it was sitting on the vehicle. The snow melted and I did not notice a leak but this is not my daily driver. After the snow event we had a thunder storm the weekend before March 1st when I got in the vehicle and noticed the leak again.

The dealer service advisor called me the same evening I dropped of the vehicle. He proceeded to ask me the vehicle is parked under a tree. He then stated this is not a covered repair. I purchased a certified pre-owned with the full Ford protect plan. He then said the drains are clogged and as it is not covered it would be about $1000.00 to repair. I about went ballistic at this point. Telling him I would not pay for this repair and wanted to talk with the business manager who sold me the vehicle. i then proceeded to explain that nowhere in the manual nor did the dealer mention anything about parking under a tree or the maintenance required for preventing this type of leak. Call the manager and had to leave a message. No response by the afternoon of the next day and i called several times and left messages again. The next day (Friday) I we on the dealer web site and started to leave comments on their contact forms. Within about 10 minutes I received a call from the manager. He explained he was off yesterday and the reason he did not reply, OK. Now I explained the details above and he responded he would get with the service manager and get this resolved and stated i should not have to pay for any repairs.

The next issue or concern both my wife and I have and expressed to the dealer during the 2nd visit is the headliner being soaked and being damaged and mold on both the headliner and carpet. After the 2nd visit the service advisor stated because this is a limited edition the headliner is mad of a more durable material and does not require replacement and the reason the performed a special de-humidifier cleaning of the interior over a weekend to completely dry out the interior and prevent mold.

I still have concerns and have relayed this to the dealer on this visit as well.

Any feedback is appreciatedIMG_20210301_134205318.jpg
IMG_2.jpg

IMG_20210301_134205318.jpg

IMG_20210301_150525624.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 that we purchased new in February of 2017 for the first year and a half of it's life it lived outside on the driveway. I never had a leak of any kind. We bought a new house in July of 2018 and for the most part it has been parked in the garage and outside at work before I retired. For the last year it has just stayed in the garage unless I'm running an errand. So this isn't a normal problem.

I remember reading somewhere a couple of pages back that someone discovered a leak around the black antenna thing on the roof on the right side that allowed water to travel back toward the center of the vehicle. You might have them check that and where the roof rack attaches as those are also roof penetrations. Just my thoughts, I hope it helps and you get it fixed.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've had clogged drain hoses in my truck and got some wet headliner too. After it dried, I unclogged the hoses. The headliner dried quickly but there was a little stain on the edge of the wet part that came out quickly and easily with upholstery cleaner and a soft brush. It was not a big deal.

Usually the drain hoses clog. The roof rack and antenna could leak, but usually it's just the hoses. You should check them yourself or go to an independent garage if you don't know how. You may also want to check for a leak elsewhere by directing a hose at individual areas for a period of time and looking for water.

That dealer is a piece of work. He could have spent the 15 minutes as a courtesy and unclogged the drains and told you to bring it back for some detailing of the headliner. Everyone would have been happy and it would have cost him fifty bucks.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All this makes me glad I don't have a moonroof! But, my 2017 EL XLT now appears to have some sort of (thankfully small) leak. I noticed one night when it had been particularly wet that the interior was all fogged up. There was a small amount of water visible on the driver's rubber floor mat.

I took it to a dealer and they took out the headliner and ran it under what they call "the shower" to find any leaks. They could find nothing. Even worse, the truck was out of regular warranty (due to age, not mileage) and even though I have an extended Ford warranty I was told it does not cover diagnosis. Because they didn't find any leaks, I had to pay $300 for their trouble. :(

I did adjust the weatherstrip around the LF door opening to make sure it was sealing properly. It's always possible that any spot that isn't pinched thoroughly so it grips the drip rail could let in a small amount of water.

We also had a bad Winter storm and the truck sat for days with snow piled on top. When it melted I found enough moisture had condensed on the inside of the windshield that it formed droplets. Nothing else was wet or soaked though.

Since all this happened I still notice some interior fogging from time to time. Since it's just a small amount of moisture, I make sure to drive the truck more frequently and run the heat to dry it out as thoroughly as I can. Not sure what else I can do!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Not sure what else I can do!
Run water around the windshield edge with a hose. The windshields are glued in and sometimes develop leaks that run down the kick panels. Remember the fuse box problems? And if you want a hobby, you can probably reach the Satellite antenna mounting bolts without removing the headliner. You can take that off and reseal it, though you'd probably see if that was leaking. And you can ***** around under the truck for the heater box drain and clean the mud out of it.

jimnliliya

Reaction score
I noticed water swishing around in the two passenger doors of my Ford Expedition and had to shake the doors to get it to come out slowly. I didn't do anything and within a couple days of no rain, didn't hear anything. Today, I was washing my truck and noticed on bottom of the passenger door on the inside of the car there was black mold. Not happy about this and looks like the only remedy is to take the door apart...so looking for a place that will do this.