2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 17 Limited EL that we have owned since February. We have none of the problems that you have reported. I do get a little water on the driver's side sill during a heavy rain storm, It has happened 2-3 times. I take my truck through the car wash at least once if not twice a week and have no water from the sun roof. I've not noticed any water on the carpet anywhere else.

IMG_5831.JPG IMG_5835.JPG

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 Expedition Limited with Sunroof has had 0 moisture problems since August purchase. I have had major issues in the past with other brands with leaks so I know the aggrevation try to find one built in a different time of the year if you get another exchange offered

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 bought new last year and I have no leaks. I do get water in the same spot as Andy after a good rain storm though.

Sorry I cant be of any help. Looks like you've documented everything pretty well. Id visit with an attorney and when it comes time to settle get Ford to pay the attorney fees

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'17 Lmtd bought 11/16.....roughly 28,000 miles....no runs, no drips, no errors...unless you count the deer.....but no issues of ANY kind.

Guys, don't ALL the Lmtd's come with the sunroof? I thought so anyway...

I could not be happier honestly....it's a truck, not a car but after driving that Santa Fe rental for a couple weeks.....GOD I like my truck!

I feel for you though, my '03EB rained more inside than out! I injected 5 tubes of silicon caulk on either side of the windshield.....no more leaks.

I can't comment on the OP's honesty since I do not know them.....I can only comment on the words written. I DO know however that after the tons of research I did prior to dropping some serious (to me) money on a truck, I've NEVER heard of your issues with the last body prior to Gen II. Maybe I've missed them all? Certainly possible......but I have a pretty good habit of noticing what doesn't belong in this group....carryover from 2nd grade no doubt. I'm just teasing, hope you're able to find recourse soon.

FWIW: I've had mine for a year....I wash it at home and I have a well so my water runs without regard for cost (sorry treehuggers)...and I flood the roof when washing...and do it often. I drive approx 46 miles each way...in suburban DC...I hit every kind of traffic and storms like everyone else....nada, not a drop and believe me, after my '03, I checked!

Good luck,

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'17 Lmtd bought 11/16.....roughly 28,000 miles....no runs, no drips, no errors...unless you count the deer.....but no issues of ANY kind.

Guys, don't ALL the Lmtd's come with the sunroof? I thought so anyway...

jeff

If I'm not mistaken the sunroof comes with the 301A option package and I don't think they sell many if any without it because it gives you all of the other goodies.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Double checked my 2017 Limited today after a gullywasher (but no snow) in South Alabama, build date in February. Looked over interior with flashlight, all carpet and headliner dry as a bone! (knock on wood)

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shell of the truck dates back to 2003. Lots and lots of cosmetic and mechanical changes since then, but the shell remains the same. My 2008 sunroof will work 100% in an 03 and work 100% in a 17. Largely assembled/welded/sealed by robotics.

2003 model year to end of 2017 production, for the US and Canadian markets alone Ford made 755,700 Expeditions. Navigator since 03, US + CAN, add another 255,791. Thats 1M+ units, split between just two assembly lines. And you found 3 in a row leaking water, each from a different location no less? Not buying it for a minute.

The first one leaked, I'll give you that. Quality control is what it is and sometimes things just happen. The dealer probably did put wet carpet padding back in and they shouldn't have, I would have raised holy hell too. I too probably would have locked my heels onto the showroom floor and demanded a replacement truck. Something tells me the trade-in and not a buyback is the pink elephant in the room. How much negative equity did this replacement truck cost ya?

I can take pictures of water puddled in mine, just tell me where you'd like it see em.

OP
OP
E

ExpyGal

Reaction score
As I said before if you don’t have any help to offer why don’t you just keep on scrolling. You can take your *******-ishness elsewhere because I don’t need it. As far as the trade being the problem you can shove it-it didn’t create any negative equity because the loan was a wash. The fact of the matter is yes, I have had three vehicles that are actively leaking water. I have video proof of this as well as a dealership who was able to see it themselves and are also backing me up with Ford. Like I said, if you’re not here to offer help take your playground bullying elsewhere, it’s not going to hurt my feelings and you’re just making yourself look like an ass.

The shell of the truck dates back to 2003. Lots and lots of cosmetic and mechanical changes since then, but the shell remains the same. My 2008 sunroof will work 100% in an 03 and work 100% in a 17. Largely assembled/welded/sealed by robotics.

2003 model year to end of 2017 production, for the US and Canadian markets alone Ford made 755,700 Expeditions. Navigator since 03, US + CAN, add another 255,791. Thats 1M+ units, split between just two assembly lines. And you found 3 in a row leaking water, each from a different location no less? Not buying it for a minute.

The first one leaked, I'll give you that. Quality control is what it is and sometimes things just happen. The dealer probably did put wet carpet padding back in and they shouldn't have, I would have raised holy hell too. I too probably would have locked my heels onto the showroom floor and demanded a replacement truck. Something tells me the trade-in and not a buyback is the pink elephant in the room. How much negative equity did this replacement truck cost ya?

I can take pictures of water puddled in mine, just tell me where you'd like it see em.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have ford buy back your Expedition and go buy a suburban. It must be something unique to the way you use the truck that causes the problem. After round 3 it’s time to leave the brand anyway, sorry but it’s true, if i had three leakers no way in hell would i want to buy another, id be going to chevy. I’ve never had a Ford leak, even though personally I’ve owned three vehicles as I’m in my twenties. 02 explorer which i ran for years, my 07 Expedition and my 13’ pickup truck with the diesel 6.7. None of them have ever leaked. Not saying you don’t have a problem all I’m saying is if you’ve had three it’s time to look elsewhere. I was a kid when these were redesigned in 03 and we are 14 years later as stated with the same parts, nothing’s changed so they didn’t magically start having part failures now, the parts have stood the test of time.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guys, get off her back. Ya’ll are being twits! Ever think a shipment to the same geographical area might have had an issue? All loaded or came off Assembly close to each other and quality control was sleeping that Friday Afternoon.

She isn’t making this up, she has no reason to.

She had REALLY bad luck. It happens.

Nothing she appears to be doing since she has owned 3 Expy’s before the first 17 would be causing this. Go back under your rock.

She is looking for help, not your judgement.