2018 Build and Price is live

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I think the early prices on the redesign are always higher to start they will prob drop. When I went to the dealer with my father to buy his 2016 Lariat F-250 list was 57,000 and got it down to under 49,000. I compare a lariat super duty to an expy and do not see 20,000 in added value there. We have a set up with the dealer we get at cost invoice pricing though because my family buys so many Ford trucks for company use. But still these new expys seem to be over valued.
i get mine at employee prices minus a bit from DAV. but here in our neck O the woods...its easy to get fords well below the pricing schedules, last two trucks

the new tech is cool, but some of it should have been available 5 or 6 years ago
I have an 08 frieghtliner chassis under my bus...it gives you so much info on demand it will boggle the mind, not to mention superb ABS, traction control and ride
i think around mid 18 i may look and see what and if its worth an upgrade.
it has to be four down towable and comfy

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took a look at the new '18 Expedition, not really much of a fan. It looks more like an Explorer/crossover than a truck, like the F-150 is based off of. It seems that Ford has forgotten that many people buy an Expedition for work and not to be a mommy mobile. Too many electronic babysitters that just enable people to be on their phone more. Electronic lane keeping system? That system wouldn't need to be in place if people wouldn't just concentrate on the road... Anyways, I guess I'm too close minded. I'm sure some people will benefit from the babysitters and they will certainly save lives. I don't think I'll ever consider a 4th gen + Expedition though after seeing what happened to the style. I like the way the 1st-3rd gen looks, more truck-like. It will most likely grow on me, though. I didn't like the '18 Mustang design at first but now I like it, so we'll see how the '18 Expedition design turns out for me.

The '18 is also more expensive than the previous generations. Mine was worth maybe 60k, we got it down to 49k because we were buying 2 Expeditions at the time. My King Ranch was worth less than the new Expedition, which starts at 51k MSRP, 4k more than the current Expedition. Limited also got pretty expensive because they need to bridge the gap after getting rid of the King Ranch trim.

Interior is a lot nicer though. I really like the way it looks. I just don't really like the turn knob thing to shift gears, but that's because I always rest my hand on the shifter.

As for the truck itself, it still has the EB engine, but it's paired with a 10 speed transmission and also the truck is built out of aluminum. I expect that it will be pretty fast and more fuel efficient. It will hopefully start selling better and catch up to the GM competitors.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love in the latest model years (15-17) it's the same truck as the 07 through 14 except Ford shoved some new tech down our throats and flipped us the bird and said "we've changed absolutely nothing in this truck in 14 years but you will pay us $20,000 more than from when they came out in 2007 on every trim level" I laugh at anyone who thinks the newer expys are a deal and a half... give me a break you got worked over (there are people on this forum who did well don't get me wrong I'm talking LIST PRICING MSRP). As far as the 18' I like it but it has to come down to reality because right now it's just stupid expensive. I think the added tech is cool and catches them up to GM. My thing is affordability for average people, the base SUV should not be for over $50,000 less and less people can afford these. These trucks are not Maseratis or escalades they are for average people. I could not buy an expy New as they depreciate like an anchor being dropped into the ocean, the value just drops like a rock. I would buy one that's a year old so the hit is already taken. For all my ecoboost denying I will probably end up with one.... just like how I said I would absolutely never own a red truck... how did that work out for me?

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting views.....but in the end, it all comes down to how much you can get them below list price.

If the list were $62K instead of $72K for the new '18 but they wouldn't move off of list price, it sure wouldn't be much of a deal would it? But if they are willing to move as much as my guy did on my truck, then it's a whole different story.

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting views.....but in the end, it all comes down to how much you can get them below list price.

If the list were $62K instead of $72K for the new '18 but they wouldn't move off of list price, it sure wouldn't be much of a deal would it? But if they are willing to move as much as my guy did on my truck, then it's a whole different story.

jeff

Good point

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because we buy em...at the time they were 29k, they were still somewhat basic and gas was so high that the manufacturers took the hit on sales and countered by lowering the base price. By offering a better more efficient alternative, gm and toyota advertised their full size suvs as premium offerings. This eventually made the base models fleet vehicles and the higher trim became the consumers choice, and put money in the manu due to the high prices. Ford eventually did this startin in 2012 for the expy, and esp for the 15.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All cars are too expensive to me....a brand new car cost 5K in 1980 and my Pinto(yes, I had one and it ran forever- sold it with 144K) sold for $3,900 NEW!

Think something is wrong with the Expy pricing JL, look at this:

I bought my one and only new motorcycle in 2007 for $7,400 out the door...todays price for that same model bike is 13 grand PLUS taxes, fees etc. It has doubled in price in ten years and very little has changed!

I bought a SLK230 in 2004. It was 2 years old with 7,000 miles and I paid just a little over 1/2 of the original selling price of 50K. Now, 13 years later, the new SLC300 which is the replacement for the 230 sells brand new, for the same 50K that it did 13 year ago!! Actually, it sells for $48,400 or LESS then it used to sell for!

Explain that??

Mine runs so well even with 195K miles that I'm going to drop 3 grand or so replacing the original suspension since it's pretty sacked but it runs perfectly, the retractable roof still works perfectly so for 3 grand, I'll have a great little car that I could never get anywhere else for that low a cost!

jeff

OP
OP
K

killaz05

Reaction score
So I was looking and looking but I cannot seem to find out if the 2018 Expedition had the option for load leveling air suspension. I know they use to have this option. I am curious about it for trailer purposes.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is not available and hasnt been since 2014. 2015+ trucks the nivomat self leveling system as an option, but not avilable with ccd. Seeing as neither 18 expy or navu gas it in their std or opt features sheet, its safe to say its not available at all or a built in feature with the suspension update. Either way, its rated at 9300lbs so im sure ford woulda tuned the suspension to handle the weight.

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the wife and I are on the fence between the short and long wheelbase. It wouldn't be often we would have the seatin at capacity with luggage but it will happen at least a couple times a year. Can anyone here that has had an Expedition already comment on their particular wheelbase option likes/dislikes and wishes? Thanks!