2018 FX4 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...x4-most-off-road-capable-expedition-ever.html

I read through it and wonder how they will price it. I really had a tough time objectively seeing the differences which will justify a higher price. Other than the different running boards, I struggled to see very many differences between it and my '17 Ltd. For instance, the "off road status" which displays pitch and yawl is shown on my left side display instead of taking up the entire center of the primary dash display. The wheels are the same as mine but are a lot smaller at only 18". I'm sure the off-road-tuned shocks are different but if truly sprung for AT, they might not excel for asphalt driving. They claim an all new electronic slip differential but the gears at 373 are identical to the current lineup and while the algorithms may differ, I doubt it will be by much. The "Patented electronic limited-slip rear differential to help improve off-road performance in low-traction situations by automatically varying power output side-to-side, depending on which wheels need extra traction." is also the same as on the current trucks and the "New rubber floor liners" sound a lot like the Rubber floor liners that I received in addition to the carpeted set that was installed in my truck. Even the mirrors have the same dark, heavy grade plastic on the bottoms as mine but the tops of mine match the wheels and grill as part of some "appearance package" so I'm not seeing the difference that they highlight on the page. The tires sound like they were chosen for more off-road strength but I honestly don't know the difference.

All in all....I see a couple of badges and a different set of running boards.....that's why I'm curious as to how they will price it.

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offroad guys like small wheels and big tires. I read somewhere about speculation of a Raptor Expedition version. Not that I have any intention of offroading but that would something I'd like to see.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In general, it appears the '18 sits lower than the '17 / G3. Has that been confirmed? The '18 FX4 does get the skid plates, too, but is only offered on the XLT model. I really don't understand the painted wheels for an off road package. Anybody know of a good reason for painted wheels in that package?

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sure have me wondering too Cullinan....I didn't even think about it...but you're right, it makes no sense for a truck that is INTENDED to be off-road. I will say that the "magnetic" painted 20" wheels are coated pretty well. No nicks or chips in 18,000 miles so far.

Andy, I posted the article in another thread about the Raptor-fied Expy....but there weren't many details yet.

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff, I thought I read it somewhere else on the web but it was a couple of days ago and I have slept since then. :)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With all due respect to the Expedition, "the Most Off-Road-Capable Expedition Ever" isn't really saying much. That's like adding 2" to a smart Fortwo and saying it's the biggest smart Fortwo ever.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Raptor Expedition on that Maxim site looks like 9th grade Photoshop work.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Raptor Expedition on that Maxim site looks like 9th grade Photoshop work.

I assume that's a compliment to whoever the artist is that worked on that article. 9th graders these days know how to use technology so well that one could probably code software to land a rover on Mars.