2018 Platinum, CCD shocks seem rough, "Drive Control Malfunction"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far, the truck has 39k miles. Started noticing a harsh ride in the last two weeks. The rear end seems to cause the whole vehicle to shake and reverberate after hitting every little bump on the road. "Drive Control Malfunction" displays on the dash everytime the vehicle is started. Good thing the local Ford dealer has availability in two weeks. It used to be they were backed up for months thanks to COVID limitations on their staff.

Truck is a lease (39mo, 49k miles), although the sales rep assured me LeaseCARE would cover the period until lease end after my factory warranty runs out.

So far the truck has had about $4k worth of warranty work performed due to failed A/C system. If these CCD shocks are in need of replacement so soon, I might be rethinking purchasing this model after lease return.

Will keep everyone updated once I hear back.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have your tires been changed over the crs of the lease?

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. Original all seasons, but they have plenty of tread left. I use winter tires 6 months out of the year.

Reaction score
This happened to me once after a tire rotation, they left the cable to the CCD unplugged!!! (True story). And the Drive Control Malfunction warning would pop up on the screen and the drive would get rough and choppy... hope this helps

Reaction score
This happened to me once after a tire rotation, they left the cable to the CCD unplugged!!! (True story). And the Drive Control Malfunction warning would pop up on the screen and the drive would get rough and choppy... hope this helps

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Truck is in the shop today. They're saying there are no codes. Apparently whatever the issue is, it's not being logged. I sent them a screenshot of the message which appears on a daily basis, and truck goes from soft and comfortable to a stiff-as-a-mother. They're saying they can't fix it if there are no codes. I told them to try harder, it's an $80k vehicle. We'll see.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're saying they can't fix it if there are no codes. I told them to try harder, it's an $80k vehicle. We'll see.

Wow...
Pretty sure my first question would be if I could speak to someone not about about to loose their job to a computer?

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picked it up today. They couldn’t replicate the problem after driving it for 15 miles.

4 minutes out of the dealership and light comes on for me. Suspension on super stiff setting. No drive mode availability.

Turned around and took it right back. Told they they can keep it until it’s fixed.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you leave it running to show them?

I bet it's something simple like the harness needs to be unplugged and plugged back in. If it's not instant and happens that quickly. But I'm no expert...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you able to get a service tech to ride with you while it was running rough?