2018 Rear Entertainment Initial Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how you changed the delay for the audio through Bluetooth? Thanks!

While watching a show click the remote button with 3 bars on it and it will bring up the right side menu. From there click go down to Bluetooth and click on it and you can change the delay.

Aquineas

Reaction score
The RSE is made immensely less-usable by the fact that it's not even a touchscreen. I feel like I'm back in 2002.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of headphones on the kids, so I prefer to run the audio through the car; however, the lag is so bad that the kids can't watch DVDs. Folks in this forum and the service tech at my dealership said the audio lag that occurs while playing DVD sound through the car speakers could be eliminated by using a BT speaker.

I purchased a BT speaker and tried to pair it with SYNC. I got an error saying that SYNC was not compatible with the speaker. I then paired it with the RSE, but the audio lag is still present. When I plug the audio cable from the BT speaker into the RSE, the audio is in sync.

So I guess I'm wondering what I'm missing...what is the purpose of having a BT speaker if I still have the lag? I could just use a regular (i.e. non-BT) speaker, right? Am I missing something?

So do we know for a fact that the dvd player is NOT hardwired into the Expy speaker system, instead it is using bluetooth to connect to the Expy speakers?

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
I originally had the OEM headrest system in our 2018 Limited and opted not to get them in our new one. I have done some research and there are a lot better solutions that are less than half the price of OEM......I'll post pics and reviews after i choose a system and get them installed

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally had the OEM headrest system in our 2018 Limited and opted not to get them in our new one. I have done some research and there are a lot better solutions that are less than half the price of OEM......I'll post pics and reviews after i choose a system and get them installed

Please do. One of my issues is with 3 kids and only two screen monitors, one of the kids will feel left out. I need 3 screens in back if they are going to be individual screens like the Expy RSE. If there were a way to do it like Suburbans do (one screen for each row) WITH the panoramic sunroof, that would have been ideal. Maybe a screen could have been affixed to the joint in the sunroof? Who knows what’s possible with good engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
My biggest deal is not being able to control anything from the front seat, if I only have the little ones buckled into the 3rd row in car seats then I need to pull over or have the wife turn around in her seat to change the video. I doubt I will find anything that will connect with Sync 3, but I'll be looking

Mothnuts

Reaction score
Has anyone got the SmartStream feature to work?

*Edit...Nevermind, I’ve been watching YouTube videos and figured it out. Doesn’t do quite what I thought it did.

Last edited:

mulrich

Reaction score
My wife just had our fifth kid so we decided to upsize from our Odyssey. We went with the RSE without researching it enough and I’m really disappointed. This system was obviously not tested with real parents or young kids.
I’m a reasonably tech savvy guy and it still took 10-15 minutes to get the audio set up through the speakers, only to have the audio be unusable because of the delay. It sounds like there’s a workable solution which I’ll try in the morning but I shouldn’t need a solution to make a $2000 system usable. I really wish we went with another option.
Other than the RSE, we really love the vehicle. It’s hard coming from an Odyssey which is so well designed for families (I’ll miss the automatic sliding doors the most) but the additional space in the expedition is worth it (I’m 6’7” and the Odyssey was not made with me in mind).

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford has a serious lack of talent in their user experience department. Its not like the vehicle sucks to drive but simple things are a real pain. Like making something called a FAMILY entertainment system something that can not be operated by a parent in the front passenger seat for their young kids in the back that are unable to operate it themselves. I’d be fine with having to be stopped if they’re so worried that it would be a distraction to the driver but there’s nothing up front that isn’t a hacked and cobbled together excuse of a solution. And on top of that, it’s not like you can see the menus from the fordplay app anyways so I might as well pull over and stand outside next to my vehicle and use the remote! I’m also flabbergasted by the fact that the on-screen rear climate controls lacks the ability to change vents where the air comes out. You have to physically lean over the center console to change it from the rear controls. So if anyone at Ford is listening, step up your game because Honda had this stuff figured out 10 years ago.