2018 Rear Entertainment Initial Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have 3 kids and the RSE in my wife's MB GL550 and the kids love it. It works well, we have had others work great in Sienna and Highlander's disappointing that it works via blue tooth as they would have just needed to run some cabling. Have you tried to stream from iPads, phones or Android Also have you tried the in car WiFi to see if it is strong enough to stream, to multiple devices/iPads?

We haven't tried streaming from anything else yet, but I believe the only way to get the audio through the car speakers is the Bluetooth. We're still messing with it when we have a chance.

We won't use multiple devices for a number of reasons, but a big one we discovered is that the kids all get car sick when they are looking down at a book, device, etc.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the Rear Seat Entertainment isn't popular with this crowd, but just in case anyone is interested I'll post my initial reactions. We've only had the car for 2 days.

We have our reasons for wanting the integrated DVD system. (Please don't talk to me about tablets or the outrageous cost of the Ford RSE. I am well aware.) We previously had a 2008 Sienna with a drop down screen (yay!) and it was hardwired to the car audio/stereo system. The audio worked through the car speakers like a charm. When the parking brake was on we could even enjoy the movie on the front nav screen (great when one parent was running a quick errand while the other parent stayed in the car with the kids). The kids could use the headphones to listen to the movie while the adults could listen to the radio. (I'm not a fan of headphones on little kids, so we didn't use them, but whatever.) I could turn off the sound from the audio/nav and flip the screen closed when necessary. As the kids got older, they could reach the buttons on the overhead unit to navigate the DVD functions. Everyone, even those in the 3rd row, could see the screen.

The Expy RSE is a huge disappointment. Its main problem is that it uses bluetooth for audio through the car speakers. Pairing the DVD system with the car was an adventure, and the interface is clunky. The audio lag when watching a DVD is so bad it makes the movie unwatchable. There is no lag when using the headphones, but since we homeschool, the kids are usually watching some lesson that we like to discuss and it's hard to do that while they have headphones on. The controls on the video screen are more difficult to use and some DVDs don't seem to respond at all (e.g. unable to navigate to a particular chapter in the DVD menu). We also can't watch the DVD on the front nav screen when parked.

We haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but our initial impressions are not very favorable.

On the plus side, the stop and go adaptive cruise control is nice in commuter traffic. :)

That's so weird that you have to connect the speakers through bluetooth, they should be hardwired! I personally don't like the 2 headrest screens, because we have 3 kids who all like to watch and having only 2 screens on headrests will cause a problem with the kid sitting in the 3 row (with 2nd row captains there is no middle seat in second row). You're minivan, and the Yukon XL Denali have much better configurations for my family. At least with the Denali there are 2 screens, one for each row causing less friction.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
That's so weird that you have to connect the speakers through bluetooth, they should be hardwired! I personally don't like the 2 headrest screens, because we have 3 kids who all like to watch and having only 2 screens on headrests will cause a problem with the kid sitting in the 3 row (with 2nd row captains there is no middle seat in second row). You're minivan, and the Yukon XL Denali have much better configurations for my family. At least with the Denali there are 2 screens, one for each row causing less friction.

We have 3 kids, too, and that's why I'm so bummed that I can't get an overhead DVD player. Fortunately, the 2nd row bench solves that because the kid in the middle can see either screen! After having the 7-seater Sienna for 10 years, we realized we could have used an 8th seat (AWD Sienna only came in 7 seat config.)

And yeah, they should totally be hardwired. Design fail, IMHO.

I liked the Yukon DVD solution better, but the sliding 2nd row and the legroom in the Expy 3rd row sold us. My husband and I are both over 6' and the kids are already tall...

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have 3 kids, too, and that's why I'm so bummed that I can't get an overhead DVD player. Fortunately, the 2nd row bench solves that because the kid in the middle can see either screen! After having the 7-seater Sienna for 10 years, we realized we could have used an 8th seat (AWD Sienna only came in 7 seat config.)

And yeah, they should totally be hardwired. Design fail, IMHO.

I liked the Yukon DVD solution better, but the sliding 2nd row and the legroom in the Expy 3rd row sold us. My husband and I are both over 6' and the kids are already tall...

That makes sense. One other question: you mentioned that the third kid can sit in the third row and watch either screen. I’m concerned that with my kids, whoever ends up sitting in the third row will feel like he doesn’t have a screen “of my own”. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, can you elaborate on what you meant by, you “could have used an 8th seat”? Most parents with 3-4 kids have advised to always get the second row captains seats, assuming one wants to actually use the third row every time the whole family rides. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
That makes sense. One other question: you mentioned that the third kid can sit in the third row and watch either screen. I’m concerned that with my kids, whoever ends up sitting in the third row will feel like he doesn’t have a screen “of my own”. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, can you elaborate on what you meant by, you “could have used an 8th seat”? Most parents with 3-4 kids have advised to always get the second row captains seats, assuming one wants to actually use the third row every time the whole family rides. Thanks.

Sorry, I meant my third kid can sit in the middle of the second row bench seat and see either screen. We did a quick check and I was told that kids can see the screens from the 3rd row. If one of my kids is banished to the third row, I'm sure they will complain that they don't have their own screen/can't see the screens/that I love the others more, so that's why we got the bench seat in the second row. YMMV.

I've never heard about having captain's chairs for 3-4 kids. Seems like more seats would be better...? I didn't get that memo when my twins were born...ha! What is the rationale for 2nd row captains chairs? We got them in the Sienna because that was the only option for AWD. If we had a 8 passenger AWD option for the van we would have taken it. The other reason we got the 2nd row bench this time is because we didn't get the MAX. If I need some extra room to carry stuff, we can always drop the 3rd row seats and everyone can fit in the 2nd row. I couldn't do that in the Sienna; I couldn't do that in any other cars we looked at because the higher trim levels swapped the bench seat for captains chairs. (We have a older F-250 to haul plywood and do dump runs, so we didn't need the MAX for hauling.)

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score

We've got 4 kids and think the 2nd row bench is a requirement. It's the only way you can fit a complete set of grandparents in the car. That said, our Odyssey usually has the middle seat removed from the center row. (We have two car carseats in the center row, which makes access difficult due to the lack of the tip-and-slide seats in our van.) We rented a Pacifica this last fall on vacation and the tip and slide made 3rd row access easy even with carseats installed.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant my third kid can sit in the middle of the second row bench seat and see either screen. We did a quick check and I was told that kids can see the screens from the 3rd row. If one of my kids is banished to the third row, I'm sure they will complain that they don't have their own screen/can't see the screens/that I love the others more, so that's why we got the bench seat in the second row. YMMV.

I've never heard about having captain's chairs for 3-4 kids. Seems like more seats would be better...? I didn't get that memo when my twins were born...ha! What is the rationale for 2nd row captains chairs? We got them in the Sienna because that was the only option for AWD. If we had a 8 passenger AWD option for the van we would have taken it. The other reason we got the 2nd row bench this time is because we didn't get the MAX. If I need some extra room to carry stuff, we can always drop the 3rd row seats and everyone can fit in the 2nd row. I couldn't do that in the Sienna; I couldn't do that in any other cars we looked at because the higher trim levels swapped the bench seat for captains chairs. (We have a older F-250 to haul plywood and do dump runs, so we didn't need the MAX for hauling.)

I think your kids might be older but the advice I hear over and over again is that with younger kids, IF you intend on using the 3rd row all the time, definitely go with captains in the second row with 3-4 kids:

1- its hard for them to release one of the seats (in the bench configuration) AND also to push the seat back once they get into the 3rd row. They are just not strong enough so as the adult you have to walk around every time without exception and do that for them when they get in/out of the car. However, with captains, they can just walk through the aisle and get themselves into the third row (assuming they are 3-4 years old or more so they can buckle themselves in too! but even if they are younger its still easier for the adult and saves time...its all about saving time with kids).

2- without captains, kids will climb all over your second row seats/scuff the roof to get into the third row..

3- Once everyone is in the seats and driving...its soooo much more comfortable for the kids to have a little bit more space on those trips. They have more personal space and have the center area (aisle for 2nd row/extra seat for 3rd row) to place a few of their belongings... Plus with more personal space there's less fighting, poking, etc, and more peace for everyone... :)

4- The third row becomes less claustrophobic! And it becomes comfortable for adults. Even if the seating is decent in the 3rd row, as is with the Expy, the 2nd row bench takes up about 70% of your frontal/forward view. However, with captains seats in the 2nd row, it really opens up the space and makes every single seat amazing. Yes, you have one less seat, but when you don't need that seat 99% of the time, why not make the comfort super awesome for those other 99%!

FYI- i've pretty much read these same points over and over and over on all the parent blogs, Suburban/minivan configuration blogs, and also keep hearing this again and again from people I know who have tried both at all my school PTA groups...you know, us parents have to talk about something car related to keep it fun...

We've got 4 kids and think the 2nd row bench is a requirement. It's the only way you can fit a complete set of grandparents in the car. That said, our Odyssey usually has the middle seat removed from the center row. (We have two car carseats in the center row, which makes access difficult due to the lack of the tip-and-slide seats in our van.) We rented a Pacifica this last fall on vacation and the tip and slide made 3rd row access easy even with carseats installed.

Exactly! Typically, this is the easiest way for a family to get in/out of the vehicle, and also to travel in comfort. Yes, I too have thought of being able to transport grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. but hey, that happens a few times a year when they visit and decide not to rent a car, but having the extra comfort for my family 99% of the time trumps the 1%. PS, when my family of 5 travels to any relative's house by plane, no one picks us up because we're too big a family, we always rent a car (Expy or Suburban). Plus its more convenient.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
This is why I miss tumble-down seats (which the Sienna had). Once you flop the 2nd row back down, the bottom back of the seat unhooks from the floor and flips forward. It even included a little strap to keep it from falling down. Easy in, easy out. Or extra legroom for folks in the 3rd row. Ahhh... (If that darn thing hadn't need a new steering rack at 80K and a new transmission at 97K and the various other problems it had, we would have bought a new one. But I digress...)

We also keep our cars for 10 years, and those years when the kids are so little are gone in the blink of an eye, though it certainly doesn't feel like it at the time. I'd rather have the extra seat when necessary, but, yeah, my kids are older now (10/8/8) and we're more likely to fill it, even if it's just with the dolls/stuffed animals.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I miss tumble-down seats (which the Sienna had). Once you flop the 2nd row back down, the bottom back of the seat unhooks from the floor and flips forward. It even included a little strap to keep it from falling down. Easy in, easy out. Or extra legroom for folks in the 3rd row. Ahhh... (If that darn thing hadn't need a new steering rack at 80K and a new transmission at 97K and the various other problems it had, we would have bought a new one. But I digress...)

We also keep our cars for 10 years, and those years when the kids are so little are gone in the blink of an eye, though it certainly doesn't feel like it at the time. I'd rather have the extra seat when necessary, but, yeah, my kids are older now (10/8/8) and we're more likely to fill it, even if it's just with the dolls/stuffed animals.
In the 17 you fold the second row captains chairs down and the lift up on the back to flip the seat forward so you can access the third row. Doesn't the 18 do that?