2018 Rear Entertainment Initial Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
In the 17 you fold the second row captains chairs down and the lift up on the back to flip the seat forward so you can access the third row. Doesn't the 18 do that?

Not that I have found. I would be THRILLED if it did. I think most companies are doing away with it in favor of the slide-with-a-car-seat-installed.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I have found. I would be THRILLED if it did. I think most companies are doing away with it in favor of the slide-with-a-car-seat-installed.
It looks like the tilt forward according to this picture.

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpeg

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
It looks like the tilt forward according to this picture.

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpeg

Sorry, I didn't explain it well. Imagine the back of the seat folding flat on the seat (like it already does to make a flat cargo area), but then the back of the seat releases from the floor and the front of the seat hinges forward so that it flips up flat against the back of the driver seat. I'm having a hard time finding a picture.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The previous gen 2nd row seats needed to be folded then the back bottom end released up from latches and forward, giving it a tumble effect. It was a multi step function that allowed access to the back. The seat then would need to be brought back down onto its original latches.The current gen trucks seats are on a track. Like in the picture, with a button press, the back end of the track releases, tilting the whole seat towards the front row seat back, then the seat can be pushed forward. The whole seat tilts but the back end never unlatches from the floor last it used to.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 17 you fold the second row captains chairs down and the lift up on the back to flip the seat forward so you can access the third row. Doesn't the 18 do that?

Andy...the 18 does EVERYTHING...you know that ;-)

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer the tilt seatbacks over the tumble fold seats. Its way easier to use and faster. Also no need to move the front seats as well to help the seat fold/ tumble or no need to fold down the headrest as well.

wrc7732

Reaction score
It still bewilders me that the big SUV’s like our Expy’s, and the GM equivalents don’t have well integrated, intuitive rear entertainment systems. My wife’s old ‘08 Honda Pilot came from the factory with a flip down widescreen monitor with the DVD player in the front dash, two IR headphones, 3 headphone jacks and auxiliary input in the rear, and could be controlled from the front or rear of the vehicle.

Then I got my ‘15 Expy with the dual screens on the headrests, granted each with its own DVD player, that you can’t control from the front at all, not even to turn them on and off. You can play what’s on one, on the other, and vice versa, but the audio is headphone jack, IR, or goodness me what were they thinking FM modulation through the front headunit Radio (and it sucks).

Ours use the physical headphones as I find the IR sets to fragile or poor fitting for my young kids. And the older has to unbuckle to help my little one change DVDs or turn on the screen, etc.

With what they charge for these RES’s it astonishes me that they haven’t made more significant strides. Hell just put one in out of a Honda Odyssey. I honestly feel the large SUV market would benefit greatly from a properly integrated system, as I think there are a fair number of minivan owners that would much prefer an SUV but can’t live without a well designed RES.

Hell, that’s my $.02 anyway. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still bewilders me that the big SUV’s like our Expy’s, and the GM equivalents don’t have well integrated, intuitive rear entertainment systems. My wife’s old ‘08 Honda Pilot came from the factory with a flip down widescreen monitor with the DVD player in the front dash, two IR headphones, 3 headphone jacks and auxiliary input in the rear, and could be controlled from the front or rear of the vehicle.

Then I got my ‘15 Expy with the dual screens on the headrests, granted each with its own DVD player, that you can’t control from the front at all, not even to turn them on and off. You can play what’s on one, on the other, and vice versa, but the audio is headphone jack, IR, or goodness me what were they thinking FM modulation through the front headunit Radio (and it sucks).

Ours use the physical headphones as I find the IR sets to fragile or poor fitting for my young kids. And the older has to unbuckle to help my little one change DVDs or turn on the screen, etc.

With what they charge for these RES’s it astonishes me that they haven’t made more significant strides. Hell just put one in out of a Honda Odyssey. I honestly feel the large SUV market would benefit greatly from a properly integrated system, as I think there are a fair number of minivan owners that would much prefer an SUV but can’t live without a well designed RES.

Hell, that’s my $.02 anyway. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the 2018's are not that much better from what others are saying here. I'll be curious to hear from more people as they start using those 2018s.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the 2018's are not that much better from what others are saying here. I'll be curious to hear from more people as they start using those 2018s.

Yeah I am scared about the post regarding Bluetooth connectivity to the speakers, why? I know weight saving was a premium but really how much does 15’ of audio cable weigh?