2019 XLT 4x4 Max with HD Tow and 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey Smith

Reaction score
Hi All-

Does anyone have experience towing an Airstream Flying Cloud 23D (corner bed) with a 4th gen XLT Max 4x4 with HD Tow package?

Curious to know how the tongue weight is. I assume the worst case would be about 900 lbs which I should just be able to handle. This would be 15% of the 6000lb GVWR of the trailer.

I have brought my Expy loaded up with the whole family and packed as if we would be going camping to the CAT scale and the

Measurements were:
Steer Axle: 3140
Drive Axle: 3300

My Expy has the following capacity:
Front GAWR: 3550
Rear GAWR: 4380

This looks to me that I should be able to accommodate the full 900lbs of tongue weight on the rear axle but should be a little lower on the rear given I plan to use a WDH.

Would like to hear if anybody has had experience they can share with a similar setup as I want to make sure the tongue weight will be manageable.

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FeelsBradMan

Reaction score
You definitely want the WDH and you should be fine as long as you aren't cramming your Expedition with cargo. Try to pack everything in the trailer sans small travel amenities. Your payload is about 1600 on the 2019 (I have one) and if you're in a 23' trailer I doubt you have a ton of passengers. That being said, you will probably come in under payload with the tongue weight you figured in.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
You definitely want the WDH and you should be fine as long as you aren't cramming your Expedition with cargo. Try to pack everything in the trailer sans small travel amenities. Your payload is about 1600 on the 2019 (I have one) and if you're in a 23' trailer I doubt you have a ton of passengers. That being said, you will probably come in under payload with the tongue weight you figured in.

Thanks for the info! Good to hear all should be ok. Do you have a similar sized trailer?

The payload on my Tire and Loading info sticker says occupants and cargo must not exceed 1767 lbs. Which expy do you have? Wonder why the payload numbers are a bit different...

Will be getting a weight distribution hitch installed and then will bring the whole setup to the CAT scales to see what the exact numbers look like.

Thx again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington