new 2019 expy platinum owner - no HD towing - help with controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyak

Reaction score
So I have been searching this awesome community of knowledge and need help still :)

I wanted the HD towing but could not pass up this one owner TX expy that was babied - no HD towing pkg

It has the round and flat trailer plug adapters - and in the back storage was an unopened wiring adapter that is
JL1T 14A348 - with a sheet showing what pins are for gnd,pwr,brakes, etc

I checked under the dash and am not sure if I can find a controller module - I can ul some photos later.
Popped off the "coin holder" insert and there is no wiring behind it.

I ordered a generic brake switch off amazon, and ordered
Trailer Brake Control
GL3Z-19H332-H

because truck has lane assist - hopefully I ordered the correct module (please hit me if I didn't!)

So is there going to be an existing plug to connect to the newly purchased module under the dash - and what wiring do I us to connect to the purchased brake switch ??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Love the truck - really miss not having 9000lb towing ability!

Andy

Attachments

• 20230830_154828.jpg
    20230830_154828.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230830_154824.jpg
    20230830_154824.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230830_154818.jpg
    20230830_154818.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
usually Ford puts the trailer controller plug/jack just under the top of the left kick panel under the the dash. You can get a Ford specific harness from Tekonsha that plugs into that connector and into the back of any Tekonsha trailer brake controller.

If your vehicle doesn't have a factory brake controller, I'd recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3.
here's a P3 with the Ford cable

you want the brake controller mounted where you can reach down and manually activate the brake override in an emergency situation while still maintaining control of the steering wheel. I recommend just under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. But make sure whereever you mount it, that your knees aren't bumping it while you're driving, or you'll come to hate it on a long trip :D

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
Thanks For the reply and info! I am pretty sold on using the Ford integrated controller - unless the P3 integrates and can be controlled but Truck software.

My big unknown before I take apart the dash when the controller arrives - is what wiring is already there and/or what do I need to rewire - there is a section of wiring harness that was in back of the truck that has a plug on one end and bare wires with labels on the other... does this mean I have to wire this in somehow to get the 7 pin to use the brake controller?

Thanks,
Andy

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a Ford trailer brake controller. The plug for it is not behind the coin holder but a little cubby, right of steering wheel and left of the center console.

I tried a generic oem-style one off Amazon, but it didn't work and caused a parasitic drain.

I also had to enable it with Forscan.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Round "RV" trailer 7pole connector is part of the HD Tow package so you have that. The Ford OEM brake controller should snap into the "coil" bin on the dash (after removing the pin, of course) and plug in to a matching connector under the dash. (It's got several pins. 4? 6?)

Used to be this way anyway... :)

-- Chuck

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
This may help some new 2019 owners installing OEM trailer brake controller.

Wiring is there behind little cubby. My platinum had 7 pin already in by hitch

There is a youtube video if you search for 2019 expedition trailer brake controller
that will help with removal of dash panels to put the physical brake switch in place.

Now to program it I finally found that I had to install an older version of ForSCAN to get it up and running. OBDII USB cable from amazon ($25)

On the Forscan site you can look at old versions and download 2.3.34 for the 2019 expedition.

You will be able to find the trailer brake controller option and enable it and both the switch and the gain functions will then work. I was also able to quickly enable Bambi mode (high beams with fog lights saying on) in the body control module of this version.

The newest versions and some other old ones I tried did not work - 2.3.34 works a charm for my 2019 platinum expedition.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett