2020 plat nav screen / audio issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having problems with the info nav audio system. Orig owner. 30k miles.

This all started a few weeks ago.

Whenever I start the vehicle, the radio comes on even though the radio was off when the vehicle was turned off.

Whenever the sync system boots up, it shows the home layout even though when the vehicle was turned off, the nav screen was on the whole screen. The home layout that the system boots up to is the left half nav and the right half radio and phone boxes. It does not remember that it was on full nav screen when turned off.

Two times the screen was completely dark upon starting and I had to press the volume and right seek to reboot the system. Then the system worked.

One time the GPS was about 4 miles off with a clear sky and no obstructions. A master reset did nothing. Shutting the vehicle off and on fixed the problem.

I never had any problems in 2.5 years.

The vehicle is still under warranty and I will bring to dealer but has anyone heard of these problems or know what is going on?? My warranty will go out in a few months.

Thanks for the help!

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What software revision are you on? My 2020 is on 3.4.22251 and is reported 'up-to-date' on my Ford Owner Portal . BTW, I have my WiFi (over the air) updates turned OFF and only perform a SYNC update with a USB memory stick.

OP
OP
S

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running the same sync version. I have wifi updates turned ON. Sync says everything is up to date. I'll disco the battery later today for an hour.

PNWExpy

Reaction score
My apologies for the fragmented info here but I was having similar issues. Over the last few months the radio would turn itself on - I never thought much of it until your post. And then last Friday the entire nav screen went black. No buttons would wake it up and when I got below 25 mph the rear view and top view cameras would turn on. I happened to be taking it into the dealer for tranny issues that day anyways. ( 2020 with 25k, yay!) The lady rolled her eyes when I presented her with the list of problems lol. Tranny, nav screen, defrost on rear window broken, and engine rattle.

ANYWAYS - she called back Monday and said that the computer that the nav uses was broken and that they would be replacing it under warranty. So I would think yours is too?

And for those wondering, the broken defrost - the wire that connects to the rear hatch window - is warranty as well.

My problem is going to be the rental car coverage. She says ford will cover it for 7-10 days but it’s been 7 days and their part time tranny tech hasn’t even looked at the truck yet… I’m sorry but I’m not paying for a rental car for warranty coverage problems.

OP
OP
S

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running the same sync version. I have wifi updates turned ON. Sync says everything is up to date. I'll disco the battery later today for an hour.

I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and the screen is still messed up. Scheduled for the dealer.

OP
OP
S

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this thread for historical purposes.

Dealer looked at the expy and the problem is with the APIM Module. It needs to be replaced. They are backordered until around Nov.

Here is a list of all the issues I experienced with the bad APIM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I start the vehicle, the radio comes ON even though the radio was OFF when the vehicle was turned off.

When the sync system starts, it shows the default home layout even though when the vehicle was turned off, the nav screen was on the whole display.

Sometimes the nav screen is completely dark upon starting. I have to press the volume and right seek for 10 seconds to reboot the system.

Sometimes the nav screen does not respond to touches.

Sometimes the backup camera stays on while in drive until vehicle powered off or system reset.

Sometimes the backup camera does not come on in reverse.

The vehicle is sending the incorrect information to the Ford Pass app. Location, miles. Will not remote start.

An Alarm option pops up on the driver display after power down to select All Sensors or Perimeter Sensing.

Nav does not always power down after power off and the driver door open/close.

I did multiple System resets and also disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. Problems are still present.

OP
OP
S

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A simple software update fixed the problem. Loaded 3.4.23188

Dealer didn't even know about it. Also see these threads for reference.