240K *New Expedtion Owner*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, thanks for your service from a Veteran.
I think replacing a good alternator is a waste of money.
I also agree, sound like a bad heater core. I just paid to get mine replaced, wasn't cheap by any means so if you can do it yourself, do it. Best wishes.

OP
OP
C

CableDawg

Reaction score
It was the heater core. Slapped a new one of those bad boys and it worked great. The blenddoor seemed to be operating fine with no issues. I went ahead and replaced the plugs with motor craft and moving to coils next. The plugs were in bad shape. Like I have never seen plugs that bad. Also cylinder #1 had a broken coil pack that the original owner glued back together so I had to replace that one. My negative battery connector is loose even when fully tightened down which is causing intermittent starting issues. That is an easy fix and next on my list once I get back from visiting family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't do any coils that aren't failing. I've posted about it before, but if you've got good, undamaged coils that have lasted this long, they will probably outlast the vehicle, unless they get soaked with water or otherwise damaged. The probability of getting a dud coil that dies after 10k miles is greater than the ones currently on your engine giving out, so I'd just leave them.

Those may have been original plugs, but even if they were done at 100k miles like they were supposed to, that's still more than 140k miles on those plugs which is crazy.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I concur with Dewey, leave coils, change the wires, early ones had, or coil boots 98 and later. Sounds like you got a well maintained vehicle, minus the plugs. If you don't mind the extra work, run a complete neg cable

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Mr Happy

Reaction score
Thank you for your service.

I concur with the others who say do not replace the coils unless they are broken. I had to replace the back right one on my Expedition. It was as a major PIA.

I just replaced my Expedition alternator. I wanted to give a heads up to others who need electrical items like this. DB Electical has great prices on these items. I bought a starter for my Suburban. Starter for my Craftsman lawnmower. You can go to their website and I have also found their products on Amazon.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/

Hope it is OK to suggest companies. If not please delete.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not only OK, we encourage it. Short of paying up for dealer parts, we as techs are always searching for quality aftermarket parts to recommend to our forum members. We occasionally will tell which items to stay clear of, if myself or others had horrible results with that product. We still have free speech here, and we use it. The only thing that the forum doesn't allow is profanity, I applaud that rule. Welcome to our forum, I think your gonna like it here! Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk