35w HID vs 55w HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the record there is a big difference.
I like the 55w waaaaaay better.
My truck has 6k 35w and tho they are decent and light up way better than halogen, they are not nearly as powerful as my Mustang which has 6k 55w behind smoked lenses!!!!! Just wanted to put that out there for those trying to decide. If you can afford the 55's get'em.

Banger

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 85 watts in mine

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Not to get into a legal argument here, but keep in mind that only the 35W HIDs are legal. Even then, in some states, you have to have the appropriate headlight housings for HIDs. Just putting that out there to keep in mind that there is more to installing the HIDs than simply wiring them up.

OP
OP
BANGEREXPO76

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to get into a legal argument here, but keep in mind that only the 35W HIDs are legal. Even then, in some states, you have to have the appropriate headlight housings for HIDs. Just putting that out there to keep in mind that there is more to installing the HIDs than simply wiring them up.

Thermo
I did not know higher than 35w was illegal.
I used 55w on my Mustang because I have smoked lenses.
But you are correct. The lenses and housing makes all the difference.
I installed new lenses with proper housing in all three of my cars with HID's.
To me it looks dumb when people do it with those old molded yellow lenses.
Thanks for the heads up.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Banger, take a look on the HID boxes. What you want to be looking for is what is called the "DOT Approval" stamp. If you have anything installed in your vehicle that affects the lighting, it should have a stamp on it somewhere. No stamp, not legal. Most states have a generic in their laws that say something to the effect of "no vehicle shall use unapproved lighting". Ok, what is approved lighting? Most states simply refer back to what the USDOT states is acceptable. In the case of lighting, this equates to either a 55W halogen bulb or a 35W HID bulb that is white in color (as it pertains to headlights).

I can see where you can be confused as the laws are written such that not even the lawyers know what the true meaning of the law is. Please keep in mind that there are always exceptions to every rule. So, if you can figure out the byouts, then you will can push the limits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69