4v heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking into buying a new set of navigator heads or at least some sort of 4v's. I know this discussion has been had a million times over about the swap on other modular forums but I want to see if anyone here has done this yet and if anyone has any suggestions (other than dont waiste your time and or money)!

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well when mustang guys talk about the swap they say you need a 4v computer and some harness engine harness changes. The heads are physically bigger but I dont see that being much of a problem in our trucks. Everyone seems to say it's a lot more complicated than switching heads alone. A 3v swap may be easier but I dont know anyone else that has done it.

OP
OP
B

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually I asked some guys at Livernois motorsports about this yesterday and i was told that the 2v to 4v swap is the simplest with navi heads than the other 4v's. They say just some new various covers and obviously some timing is needed. The 3v swap is much harder because of some different setup with the block such as bolt patterns and some sort of holes that need to be drilled out for coolant. But then again these people only deal with 3 and 4v's really so as much as I want to trust them, other than having to drill the hole for some coolant on the 3's, you can visually see that, I don't know what to believe! :confused:

(plus I'm looking to supercharge within 2 years so that's becoming a factor too for me)

Edit: I meant to say I had gotten an email this morning from Livernois

Last edited:

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm just going by what I read on forums like stangnet, corral etc. I was thinking about picking up a 4.6 stang and swapping a 5.4 into it.

Sure the physical mounting of the heads will be easy, did they say how the 2 valve computer will run a 4 valve engine though? As far as I know you will need a new ECU or at the very least tuning the stock ecu if that's even possible to run the new heads.

Those Livernois guys probably know a TON more than me about what you'd like to do so I would pick their brains some more if I were you, I can only go by what I read.

255 pages of 5.4 swap info (primarily mustangs however) http://mustangboards.com/modular-4-6l-tech/9238-anyone-intrested-5-4l-swaps-here-need-you-opine.html

Your engine bay looks like mine heh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did say they could flash it for whatever would best suit the setup so no new ecu. I'm kind of still debating if just a new cam and maybe porting the heads would be more worth while. I mean I've put so much money into this 2v setup I wonder if it'll all be worth it in the end.

About dropping a 5.4l in a mustang, depending on what year, if it's 9X-04 with a 2v, it will require a few modifications especially manifolds, a hood and a custom air intake unless of course you get something like this (kick @$$ looking) one:
F150temppicture%5B1%5D.jpg

my dad tried it with an 03, but sadly we never had time to do it, or really the equipment. I wouldn't know about dropping in a different engine (3v/4v) into the same body style or any engine into the later models but I'd have to assume it'd be easier but don't quote me.

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't that the JLT intake? That thing looks pretty mean and I bet sounds pretty wicked as well! I have some shorty headers to put on mine and been thinking about a tuner but a cam would probably open some more power up not to mention give it a good sound. Everybody and their brother says to put better heads on the ford mod motors to make power.

OP
OP
B

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found some 38cc chamber heads on summit racing, now I dont know what the stock cc is on normal P.I. heads but it raises the compression ratio to over 10:1 so that'd really have to wake up along with .58/.58 lift 275/275 duration cams but... that extra 3k is way to much for anyone my age to afford :eek: not to mention the forged rods that might have to go with it.